Double IPA yeast starter help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydog2314

Reaction score
SO i'm going to be brewing a double IPA next week using WYeast 1272, I got the packs back in Jan so according to Yeast Calc the viability isn't great requiring me to use both packs I have, which isn't a problem...My question is do I put both smack packs in the starter? Or make the starter and just add the 2nd pack when I pitch the starter? According to Yeast Calc using the fresher of the 2 packs in a 2l starter will yield 260 billion cells and the other pack w/o a starter would be 65 billion and it says I need about 320 billion...so I'm right at it with putting only 1 pack in the starter but would I be better off putting both in? I have a 2000ml flask so I'm a litle worried about space/size of starter too

Thanks!

If it was me I would make the start and pitch both of the vials in it. Your most likley going to have to do an additional step-up in order to get to your cell count.

Back