American IPA BuckIPA V1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
cooper\'s 7g ale yeast
Yeast Starter
1.5C water,1/4C plain light DME
Batch Size (Gallons)
6G,23L
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
30 mins
Color
orange/amber
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
25 days @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Additional Fermentation
30 days in bottles
Tasting Notes
grapefruit,orange & touch of lemon with light malt presence.
1 can Cooper's OS Draught
3lbs Munton's plain light DME
2oz Columbus hops
2oz Nugget hops
2oz Cascade hops.
1) 7g packet cooper's ale yeast
1.5 cups boiled water with 1/4C light DME cooled to pitch temp <OR>
2C boiled water with 1tsp dextrose
I boiled 3 gallons of water,got 2.5G when it boiled. Added 1.5lbs plain light DME to BK & stirred til dissolved. Measured out 1.5oz each of the hops,& put them in hop sacks tied off. Got a mini hot break for about 3 mins. 1st hop addition of Columbus @ 25mins. 2nd of Nugget 16.5 mins. 3rd of Cascade at 8 mins,30 seconds. *(forgot this part,sorry)*At flame out,stir in remaining DME & the Cooper's can. Place lid on kettle to steep 5 mins,as the wort is still boiling hot,& pasteurization happens @ 160F.
Then into sink with cold water in empty space for a couple mins. Drain water,re-plug,& fill up with ice,then top that off with cold water. Place floating thermometer in BK till temp is down to 65-70F,about 20 mins.
Dump yeast in re-hydrating solution & cover with plastic wrap. Sanitize fermenter with starsan,then dump sanitizer into your holding vessel. Place fine mesh strainer over open FV,pouring chilled wort through it into FV. Pour top off water through it too. It'll aerate it well too. Stir for 5 minutes solid,very roughly. Take hydrometer reading,make note of it & stir/pitch re-hydrated yeast. Seal fermenter & place airlock in lid,filled to the line with cheap vodka.
25 days to ferment,including one week dry hop with the remaining .5oz of each hop in a sack. Primed with 5.15oz dextrose to get 2.3 volumes co2 in bottles. Condition bottles for 30 days,2 weeks in fridge to get thicker head & longer lasting carbonation. Here's a pic for the curious; http://http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss71/unionrdr/IPA3.jpg

Unionrdr,
Just wanted send you a thanks and let you know about the beer we crafted after this recipe.
My brew buddy and I are new brewers and this represented our 3,4th and 5th batches of beer. We wanted to get a solid pipeline going and both like IPA brews.
We did deviate from this recipe a bit.
We were able to acquire some cheap Coopers cans of various flavours that we wanted to practice our first few batches with. Here is what we did.
On our first try with this recipe we prepared it as per the instructions but substituted some things in and out.
We had received a bunch of the Australian Pale Ale cans from Coopers. We substituted your OS Draught listed in the recipe for the APA can.
We also pitched US 05 for our yeast.
At bottling time we had an unused Spray Malt Medium Dry extract so we primed using it (1 cup for 5 gallons)
Currently drinking this beer and it has been fantastic. Friends are also enjoying it. Since we liked it so much we decided to brew it outdoors and at 10 gallons. We followed that up with another ten gallon batch (made indoors on the stove top) the next day. These are currently bottle conditioning (as of the 4th) The samples taken for the gravity were very tasty. I expect the beer to be just as good scaled up to 10 gallons. We simply doubled up the recipe. I am not sure what impact this will have on the hops.
I will follow this up when I crack the beers from the 2nd and 3rd tries with this recipe.

I hope this works

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

I'm glad somebody finally tried this one & liked it. It's my first IPA & came out so well I had to post it for the AE brewers. I have some other pale ale recipes & a PB/PM BIAB IPA that uses 8.3ozs of hops. Tastes like a cross between pliny & some other IPA's I've tasted. What hops did you guys use in it? The same or different? I like the wood-fired kettle. That's real guy stuff right there! :mug: Let me know here how it turns out! I'd like to see it & compare tasting notes. I like the pre-chiller thing too. I was thinking of something like that myself to replace the ol' ice bath.

We have been successful with establishing a nice pipe line of IPA’s with this recipe. We do like using the APA coopers cans in place of the draught. I think we might try this soon with all DME. This is a delicious hoppy extract IPA. Floral and fruity both on the palate and nose, with just the right bittering. My brew buddy made the copper chillier and we are trying to conserve water hence the cooler full of ice with the fish tank pump. It cools in about 20-30 mins. We would like to be more efficient in cooling the wort.
Other things in the future we would experiment with are switching in and out some different hops. However, this beer is great as is and changing it up would just be us learning and experimenting with different hops.
Our next IPA bew day is in Nov. Ill update again!

Back