Red ale recipe help/critique.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XantharTD42

Reaction score
So I brew in Japan in a small apartment necessitating partial mash brewing. I recently ordered the ingredients for a red ale recipe I found. But, due to availability issues, I got some rather different things than I anticipated. I was hoping to get some input on the matter.

Recipe:
1kg Munton's Light DME
800 g American 2-row
800 g Carared
600 g Munich
200 g torrified wheat (recieved roasted wheat at about 700L)

42g Cascade (14g at 60m, 30m, and 5 min)
42g Perle (recieved Hallertau Mittlefruh) Same schedule as Cascade

EDIT: Yeast US-05

Any thoughts on using the roasted wheat or adjusting the hop schedule for Hallertau?

American Red Ale or Irish Red Ale?

If going for Irish I would ditch the Cascade.

My next recipe is to be an Irish Red so I've been researching them heavily lately. My Brewtarget Calculator puts this recipe at a 2.9 ABV with a 1.032 OG, your coloring is going to be a little light at a 8.2. and you will be extra hoppy with a 26.9 IBU. Most Reds do not have the extra Hoppiness and lean more towards a Malty side of the balance chart. So you may try removing the Cascade and save it for a different brew. Or do 14g at 30 min for a balanced blend.

Someone with more experience may come in though and give better advice though.

I was shooting for an American Red.
Thanks for the heads up on the Cascade. Maybe I'll give it a miss. I was thinking of pushing the hops a bit but maybe I'll just stick to the Hallertau then.
But I was surprised at the color and ABV numbers there. When I ran it in my spreadsheet I got 4.1 ABV with about a 1.042 OG and 19 SRM using the roasted wheat. I'm going to have re-check. (These measurements are for 19L final volume and a 10L boil.)

EDIT: Were you calculating using Imperial or metric units? Because when I ran it using pounds rather than kilograms I got the same numbers you did.

Brewtarget automatically converts Metric to Imperial, so I was entering the Metric equivalents. I don't have the program with me currently to double check. I think the 1kg of DME is what is throwing the light numbers as that is only 2.2 lbs.

(Although not exactly sure and would have to check, but I might have accidentally used LME in my calculation instead of DME)

I can check it later tonight.

Yeah I just downloaded it as well to check it out, so I see now with the unit conversion. All in all it looks pretty slick. I'm going to have to play around with it. Question though, what version are you running?

Version 1.2.4 I just downloaded it about a week ago myself, I've been playing on it a lot. Helps me get ideas on things to add. Not perfect, but pretty good for free.

Yeah I was just curious. I keep getting some weird hangs but I suspect it's my mediocre computer...at any rate I think I'll be brewing today so I'll let you know how everything works out.

Back