Something weird happened

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rewster451

Reaction score
My roommate and I noticed that the ginger chocolate porter had stopped fermenting. We went out for dinner, still no activity. We could tell because the airlock water level was the same on the inside as it was on the outside.
So we started sanitizing and cleaning bottles. We got about ready to start boiling the sugar, and lo and behold, the airlock was showing activity!

Is this just because we moved it, stirring things around? Should we postpone the bottle? I'm excited to have something to do, and I'm kind of bummed now that I might not be able to bottle tonight.

Even at 70 degrees and 1 atmosphere of pressure, the brew will hold some natural carbonation. Agitation does cause it to release some co2.

The F.G. was 1.019. I know that's high. But it doesn't seem like there's any way that it would only go down four points in a week. Also, although we didn't get an original gravity on this one, I'm pretty sure it's high, because we didn't use as much water. The total quantity after brewing was less than 4.5 gallons. We didn't take a gravity because we couldn't figure out how once it was in the carboy. Now we know to take a sample.

Put a couple aside for 2 months and then see what it tastes like. I think you will be suprised with the change.

Back