White Labs Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franklinswheat

Reaction score
I completed my first batch of cherry wheat. Some people have talked about AHS on here, I just ordered an Agave Wheat kit from Austin Homebrew Suppply. I upgraded to White Labs Yeast as several homebrews around my area recommended the upgrade from the basic yeast setup. My question, is the extra 7.00 worth it? Does the white labs yeast make that much of a difference?

It depends on the style of beer. Only a few strains are available as dry yeast. So If you want to do a Belgian wit beer, your probably gonna want the proper yeast. White Labs has such yeast. Fermentis does not.

PS: When using liquid yeast, make a starter

You are right Maida it is not dry yeast. I appreciate your helpful and tactful post.;) With that aside, how does using a liquid yeast that i assume i wont have to re-hydrate differ from using a basic dry-yeast setup. Also above question remains.. is it worth the difference?

Liquid yeast is often called "Premium" at the LHBS because it costs more. It's no better than dry in most cases. However, there are lots of yeast strains that you can only get in liquid form.

Dry yeast is every bit as good as liquid, a lot more durable, and quite a bit cheaper. The only time I'd ever use liquid is if I could only get the results I wanted using liquid. I use it about half the time. Most Ales get dry yeast, except for those I use Bell's yeast harvested from their bottles or something similar. (which I really ought to do again very soon...)

Also above question remains.. is it worth the difference?

Same question = same answer

If you want to make a Belgian wit the you need the Belgian wit yeast. To my knowledge there is no dry Belgian wit yeast for sale. That strain is only available as a liquid yeast from white labs or wyeast. So yeah if that's the style of beer you want to make you need to use the right yeast. If you used a different strain you'd have a different beer.

Remember to make a starter.

Back