question regarding yeast activity after clarification with gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poponon

Reaction score
Hi all, I was just wondering if the addition of gelatin into the primary or keg would de-activate the yeast to the point that priming the keg is not possible? Should gelatin and priming sugar be added at the same time.

I believe i've made a mistake with my past brews as i've added priming sugar to the keg and planning on adding gelatin later, however I believe this will mess up the carbonation if i open up the keg.

any help is really appreciated

Gelatin is used during secondary, usually, to help clear the beer. You want to rack off the sediment before kegging and adding priming sugar.

Gelatin won't 'deactivate' the yeast, but it will cause the yeast to fall to the bottom of the fermenter. If you have a really big fermentation and then use gelatin you could theoretically have so few yeast cells to cause noticeable carbonation, but an average beer should be just fine. And of course you are kegging, so you don't technically even *need* to add priming sugar at all...

thanks for the information. the reason i'm using priming sugar with the keg is in order to preserve more co2 because the refill place is a mission from my location.

so, would it not be possible to add gelatin after priming is completed? would this cause a major loss in the carbonation of the brew?

I have not tried it, but I think adding gelatin after carbing would cause a mess.

In my opinion gelatin is a great clarifier, but I never use it. I use some irish moss, or whirlfloc, at the end of the boil and let the cold break and time do the rest. I have a witbier that is practically crystal just from the normal process. I don't think I even used whirlfloc in that batch.

You might prefer to use gelatin. I know lots of others use it to speed up the clearing of the beer, but you may be the first to try it after carbonation. Let us know how it goes, and try to have a video camera handy so we can laugh if it foams out all over the place!

Gelatin is for cold beer and priming sugar is for warm beer. ;)

I'd cold crash with gelatin for 3 days and then prime personally. Then after conditioning, let it hang out in the fridge for a week or a month if you want it to be really clear.

When I use gelatin, it has always been in the keg (or previously, at bottling time). I had no problems with carbonation in the kegs (or bottles) other than the occasional keg seal failure. I've switched to almost exclusively force carbing these days - and purchased an extra 20 lb tank for that purpose and have my old 5 lb for dispensing.

Latest posts

Back