Apple Clove Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Apple Clove Mead
This is no more than a good guess. It’s made up of Inexperience and desire.
This is more of a chronicle than a recipe.
I am wondering if this is technically a Cyser?

1Apple sliced thin
1 #’ honey (RAW)
1# Brown Sugar
4 cloves
¼ tsp Cinnamon
To make 1 gallons of water.
1.5 tsp Yeast (I used Bread Yeast).

Bring all ingredients to a simmer (Except Yeast) and skim off any nasty ol scum that comes to the top. Keep hot for a good 10 minutes. Cool till it won’t break your glass fermentor then strain into fermentor and add water to make most of a gallon. Save about 4 oz to dissolve yeast in, then when it’s “happy yeast”, dump that into the fermentor and cap with air lock.

Enjoy!
1-25-08
Tonight, I started as above. OG after dilution was1.074 with a 10% potential.

2-8-08
Racked to secondary, Topped off with apple juice (Left from a batch of Afpelwein) and about ¼ cup honey. S.G. is 1.010 before honey and apple juice.
Clove and cinnamon flavor is very prominent.

2-19-08
Racked again. S.G. Is 0.998 That leaves us with more than 9.9% and that is not accounting for the extra sugar added on the 8th. This tastes pretty damn good…very alcohol taste tho.

2-27-08
Bottled! Gravity is .991 Made 3 750ML bottles and 3 350ml bottles. Tastes very good, but pretty strong alcoholic flavor. AWESOME Banana Flavor... Presumably from the Yeast being warm? Needs some time to mellow.

4-11-08
Opened a small bottle in honor of SWMBOs birthday. The Rocket Fuel flavor is almost gone, the clove is nice and mild. The banana flavor left by the yeast is UBER noticeable, and the apple is a bit on the mellow side. Sounds bland, but it all works together to make a very nice drink.

wow 4 cloves! I use one to two cloves in a 5 gallon batch because they are potent little suckers. Sounds like its pretty good after it ages for a while. How much did the bannana phenols fade with ageing? also How come you used bread yeast?

scinerd3000 said:
wow 4 cloves! I use one to two cloves in a 5 gallon batch because they are potent little suckers. Sounds like its pretty good after it ages for a while. How much did the bannana phenols fade with ageing? also How come you used bread yeast?
ya. Wow. It is a lot of clove, but the Banana has not faded at all, so the clove balances that out a little I guess. Actually I am hoping that they both mellow a bit in the next 6 or 8 months.
I used bread yeast because I wanted to prove that a grocery store in a town of 800 people had everything you need to make a good drink.

touche. I assume it will mellow by 6. I had a mead aged for a year but i used too much cinnamon and it mellowed quite nicely.

I did this twice now. Both times was great. The second time I did 1/2 a granny Smith green apple and 1/2 of a reg red apple.

I actually tried a mead and it smelled sour after a week in primary. Any ideas or suggestions? I can't pinpoint what might have happened.

My apple with green and red apples in it

ForumRunner_20130111_163645.png

Latest posts

Back