anyone using the carbonator cap with 500ml PET bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigidyjim

Reaction score
I've never made soda before but want to start. I don't drink a lot of soda, so want to make it in small bottles so I can make a small batch then have one bottle at a time - the 500ml PET bottles is what I'm looking at. I also don't want to use yeast (I want it to be alcohol free).

So I've found the carbonator cap, but I only see people using it with 1L bottles.

Has anyone used it on 500ml bottles? Is there anything I need to be worried about? I guess I would need one cap for each bottle I'm going to make, so maybe that's why people don't do it, because it is costly...

I know I also need the CO2 dispensing equipment to connect to the cap.. I haven't started researching that. So any recommendations for easy to use stuff are welcomed.

Thanks.

You can build your own carbonator caps. I'm getting ready to make a couple myself. All you need to do is mount a valve stem in the cap for the bottle. Much cheaper than buying a carbonator cap. Of course you will have to get a tire chuck and tie that in to your (future?) CO2 system. There are some good instructions if you search around.

As for making soda, I know nothing.

You don't need a Carbonator for each bottle. If you carbonate very cold soda to 40 psi, you can remove the Carbonator cap and put a standard cap on.

Take a look at sodaclubs system. It is designed around making soda from concentrates, one bottle at a time. I don't use their equipment, but I do use the concentrates with the cornie of soda water I keep on tap.

Back