Whats the Closest Dry Yeast to WL007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bashiba

Reaction score
I really liked the results on my attempt to clone Arrogant Bastard, going to make another batch, 10 gallons this time. The first batch was
11lbs 2 row base
2lbs 120 Crystal
3oz Chinook
and White Labs 007

I want to get similar results only with dry yeast, wondering what would be the closest. I was thinking either Windsor or Nottingham since I have both of those on hand. I haven't used the Windsor yet, so I'm curious which would be closer, or if something else would be better.
Thanks
Brad

WLP007 is Whitbread dry. It's a more attenuative and less fruity variant of regular Whitbread (white labs doesn't carry regular whitebread, only Wyeast has that strain in liquid form). S-04 is more like regular Whitbread and is thus more fruity and will finish sweeter. WLP007 is really clean for an English strain so I'd go for Nottingham as a better dry substitute. So to make it plain in simple:

WLP007 = Wyeast 1098 = Whitebread Dry => no direct dry yeast equivalent but would probably use Nottingham

Wyeast 1099 = S-04 = Whitbread

Hope this makes sense

Semi-off-topic, but I'm fermenting my Stone '09 Old Guardian clone with WLP007. Those are quite hungry and active beasties.

For the record, although many claim Arrogant Bastard is brewed with WLP007, I disagree with this based on the flavors I get from this beer. And such, I think S-04 is a better strain choice from the start for this beer. If I were to try to brew this, my first yeast choice would be WLP005. I've noted the deep maltiness from the WLP002 strain with a lot less residual sweetness so that leads me to WLP005. Some people will probably stone me for this post so I'll go hide now.

Thanks for all the input, I plan on making 10 gallons, I will use 2 6 gallon fermenters, so maybe I will throw a Nottingham in one and a Safale 04 in the other, might be a fun experiment to see how they end up differing.

I just made 5 gallons with each yeast, I'll try and remeber to report back with any noticeable differences.

Bashiba ... can you report back on Nottingham versus Safale 04? I'm about to brew a batch of The Bastard and would like feedback on the two dry yeasts you used.
I'm sure both were tasty and gone by now.

Ya I guess I forgot.

They finished at the same gravity, I think they both went from 1.062 to 1.010.
They were both fermented out at 67 degrees the entire time.

The Nottingham was noticeably fruitier with much more esters. The 04 was much cleaner and seemed to give the hops a bit more pop without the extra fruit and yeast flavors. The 04 was the clear winner of the two for this particular beer, but both of them were good.

I have another split batch that will be done next week that is 04 and Nottingham, also just did an IPA where we did 04 and 05. I'll try and remember to report back on those batches as well.

A blend of WLP005 and WLP007 is probably the best approximation of the Stone house yeast. For dry I'd go with a mix of US-05 and S-04.

I have grilled Greg from Stone trying to get details on their house yeast, and he won't spill the beans, he just says the yeast is "English in origin and similar to Ringwood (WLP005) but cleaner". Hopefully at some point I will manage to collect a sample of their yeast at the brewery and isolate it so I can add it to my library... it's a damn fine yeast whatever it is.

Back