Should I or Shouldn't I?- Okra Mead Debacle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I try it?

• Go for it! Tell me how it goes!

• Seriously? The fact that you ask makes me think you are mentally ill.

• Dammit I clicked on another CreamyGoodness thread! ~Chapp

Results are only viewable after voting.
*Actual serious question* What I can't ignore is the fact that the nast brown lees in JAOM were almost NONEXISTANT in the okra mead. Why is this, and can this knowledge be used for good instead of evil?

JOAM has a lot more foreign matter in it. I've never made a show mead though, so I'm not sure how much lees the honey puts off.

Could you use an eyedropper of slime on a gallon of mead and get clear mead? On 5 gallons?

Thing is, mead is too precious to mess with like that for the experiment...

Well I did do a serrano and hot sauce. Its over a year old and still around. I should get it cold and taste it again.

Didn't you make a cucumber mead also, or was that some other crazy jackass? :p

I've had cucumber juice a few times (in Mexico). It was quite delicious and very refreshing, though looking back I'm thinking it was probably somewhat sweetened, though I can't be sure. Cucumber IS actually a fruit, after all, and I've had some fairly sweet ones over the years, so maybe there are cultivars that are even sweeter. Maybe if they are left unpicked for a much longer time then typical, they'll develop adequate sweetness, but I don't really know.

Point is, though, that while okra mead is something that instantly makes me wonder about the mental health of such an abomination's creator, I think a semi-sweet or maybe even a sweet cucumber mead could actually turn out fantastic. I may have to try it... eventually. I certainly wouldn't discourage someone from trying it.

I don't see how leaving a cucumber on the vine longer will result in a sweeter cuke. IME, if you let them get too big (leaving them longer) then you'll get a more woody/tougher cuke. There could be a variety, though, that is sweeter than the rest (haven't looked into it at all).

Personally, I'd rather eat cucumbers, in all the different variations you can, than make a mead with them. :D

I read an article recently about how they are studying the chemical structure of hagfish slime. The goal is to produce more interesting textures for clothing.

I'm thinking you are sitting on a gold mine with that mead...You can be the next Pus Diddly (or whatever he's calling himself these days) and come up with your own okra-mead clothing line!!

Yes older cucumbers are more bitter, although this has 90% to do with variety and even within that there is variance from one fruit to the next. Armenian cucumbers are probably the sweetest ones I've grown. Also providing really rich soil and tons of water helps. When the cucumber grows to full size in 36 hours it can't help but be nice and sweet.

Have you ever eaten a clean okra seed by itself? Interesting taste- very different than the whole okra. Food for thought...

Experimenting can be fun! Well, at least it can provide some entertainment.

I don't see how leaving a cucumber on the vine longer will result in a sweeter cuke. IME, if you let them get too big (leaving them longer) then you'll get a more woody/tougher cuke. There could be a variety, though, that is sweeter than the rest (haven't looked into it at all).

Personally, I'd rather eat cucumbers, in all the different variations you can, than make a mead with them. :D

I was just thinking of how most fruits grow sweeter as they ripen, but that part was definitely conjecture, as I'm not exactly a gardener.

I was just thinking of how most fruits grow sweeter as they ripen, but that part was definitely conjecture, as I'm not exactly a gardener.

Ah, that explains it then. :eek: :D

While many fruits get better with more time on the plant/tree, cucumbers are not one of them. Let a cuke go longer and chances are it will become a thing of hate and fail (sort of like with people :eek: :D)...

I hope to have some kind of garden going come spring this year. I wasn't able to do that where I was living before. Now, I at least have the option of having something. If I can find a spot that gets enough (but not too much) sun. :D

An Okra/Ghost Pepper mead... Make the slime glue the hot to your mouth and throat and burn off your taste buds so you can not taste the boot. It will become the ultimate in college drinking dares. You could make MILLIONS. Millions!

I have the cinnamon/persimmon almost ready to roll, but I dont think that is nearly interesting enough to warrant a video.

I had two theories going in.

1) That it would be palatable, surprisingly
2) It would make for a funny video.

Only one of those theories was proven with this experiment.

You should tack the video link to the OP, so I don't have to go back searching for it. I plan on watching this at least two or three more times before I'm satisfied.

Persimmon mead - a bezoar in every bottle!

(Seriously... you might want to read up on "diospyrobezoars" before consuming it :eek:)

I just realized that this thread might have been the death-knell for my advice column thread. Guess no one wants to ask advice of a man who would drink okra mead.

I think it is commendable. You risked drinking warm boot to prove to everyone that experimenting is a crap shoot that can yield amazing or in this case... less than desireably slimy results.

I just want to remind you all to think out of the box and follow your dreams. The sky is the limit. If you set your mind to it... you too can make a vomitous slime-slick.

CreamyGoodness said:
I just want to remind you all to think out of the box and follow your dreams. The sky is the limit. If you set your mind to it... you too can make a vomitous slime-slick.

Thanks for the inspirational words. Okra Pale Ale here I come!!!!!!!

I still want to try an asparagus pilsner. Any of you who can lager please send some my way for a taste test.

Latest posts

Back