3 gallon better bottle w/ 2.5g wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flipfloptan

Reaction score
Hey group,

My fishing buddies and I are trying to figure out hops and hops combinations.

Here is my idea: Find a solid base APA recipe with malt and grains and change the hops in different batches. So I can have several different cases of beer to try at one time and to keep cost down, I am going to do 2.5 gallon batches on the stove by the Brew in the bag method or using DME.

Will a 3 gallon better bottle with blow off tube suffice for fermenter?

Thanks.

I use my 3 gallon BB for 2.5 gallon batches all the time, and NEVER have needed a blowoff tube. I pre-measured and marked my Better bottle, and you can see here where the 2.5 gallon mark is. If you can't tell it is right where the krausen begins.

krausen5.jpg

I've had some mighty fermentations, and never had a blowoff in it (actually I've only ever had one blowoff in any beer batch and that was a bucket.)

But obviously if you feel you need one go for it...but I've not seen the need. And I've done some pretty big beers in mine.

Hey Revvy,

I have only been on this board a short time but want to thank you for all the lessons you give freely. My learning curve has been cut greatly with your sage advice.

This questions was omitted. I found your 2.5 recipes on a search. I didn't realize 2.5 gallons was in mr beer territory. Not that there is anything wrong with that!!

Again thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Hey Revvy,

I have only been on this board a short time but want to thank you for all the lessons you give freely. My learning curve has been cut greatly with your sage advice.

This questions was omitted. I found your 2.5 recipes on a search. I didn't realize 2.5 gallons was in mr beer territory. Not that there is anything wrong with that!!

Again thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Missed the question...but as you can see from that other stuff, the old mr beer keg doesn't just need to hold mr beer extract kits. It is the perfect low profile fermenter for small batch, stove top all grain beers. You can even lager it in your fridge without having to remove any shelves or relocating the milk.

:mug:

Just bought my first 3 gallon better bottle tonight. I recently moved to an apartment and have downsized my brewing to 2.5-3 gallon all grain BIAB. I've been fermenting iny 6.5 glass carboy, but I'm doing secondary in these guys. Really cool to have a fermenter that weighs close to nothing...... Guess you can tell its my first non-glass fermenter. Hahaa

Latest posts

Back