Neuro Fuzzi Apricot Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PintOfBitter

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-05
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 60 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
no
Additional Fermentation
no
Tasting Notes
The beer is a nice foundation for the fruit character. So nice in the summer heat.
OK so I'm not very good at naming recipes. This recipe is named after my Zojirushi Neuro Fuzzy rice cooker (it has a fuzzy logic controller). I wanted a hot weather lighter beer, and wanted to try mashing with sake rice. The results were excellent. Absolutely one of the best beers I've brewed. This is a clean ale that works perfectly with the apricot extract. Use only the natural extract available at many brew shops.

Weigh out the japanese sushi/sake rice before cooking, and cook it up as if you were going to enjoy it on a plate with some soy sauce and chopsticks. Let it cool to the mash temp, so that when you add it, it doesn't change the mash temperature. You'll have trouble hitting the temp otherwise.

I mashed 90 minutes (seems excessive) at a low temp just to be sure of complete conversion of the rice, and to produce a very fermentable wort. Rice hulls will be your friend.

Hit it with the extract during kegging/bottling, and add in small amounts until you like the flavor. I used the full amount shown, and it's a prominent flavor.

This is one to share with beer newbie friends. It won't last during the summer months.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout
Recipe: Neuro Fuzzi Apricot Ale
Brewer: PoB
Asst Brewer:
Style: Cream Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (40.0)

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.78 gal
Estimated OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated Color: 4.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 72.97 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Rice (1.0 SRM) 22.21 %
6.1 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) 4.82 %
0.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (90 min) 16.8 IBU
3.00 oz Apricot Extract (Bottling)
1 Pkgs American Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1056)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out

Total Grain Weight: 7.88 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
15 min Step Error: Infusion temperature above bo125.0 F
90 min Mash In Add 9.85 qt of water at 154.8 F 150.0 F

Notes:

------
Rice is japanese kokuho rose, weighed prior to cooking in rice cooker. Calculate mash temp based on recipe w/o rice, then add rice when cooled to mash temp.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View attachment NeuroFuzziApricotAle.xml

Here's a pic -
NeuroFuzzi.jpg

and without condensation:
NeuroFuzzi2.jpg

Thinking of trying this recipe... But I have 2 questions...
If I'm reading it right, it's a 90 minute boil and a 90 minute mash at 150??
and also, will any sake rice work or should I make sure its a japanese Kokuho Rose rice? (think it might be hard finding the Kokuho Rose Rice)
Thanks for any response!

yes, I gave it a nice long mash to convert the rice as much as possible. I don't remember if I used a iodine test to decide to go 90 mins or not.

In general you just want as highly milled of japanese short grain rice as you can find. another very common brand name is Calrose. If it's called Japanese sushi rice, it's probably at least in the ballpark.

Hope it turns out well and you enjoy it.

Latest posts

Back