Betadine Sanitizing Safety Concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenderrocker

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forums.

I've read a few posts on here that I found using Google. I'm a little concerned about the safety of using Betadine as an iodine solution for sanitizing equipment, ie. bottles, siphons.

The label says that the only active ingredient is Povidone-iodine, but there are two other ingredients that bother me.

1. Pareth 25-9. I'm not sure what this one is, but I've read that it is not food-safe. It is also listed in the TSCA (reference)

2. Sodium hydroxide. OK, this one is obviously bad.

I'm not sure the concentrations of these two chemicals, and the solution is incredibly diluted (1% iodine to ~12.5 ppm is 1 tsp / gallon), but nonetheless I don't think we should be promoted the routine usage of such chemicals at any dose.

Anybody wanna chime in and relieve some anxiety for me? :drunk:

I think you may be overthinking this.

For one thing sodium hydroxide is harmless, nothing to worry about. Caustic does not equal toxic.

Regarding the Pareth 25-9, at the rates we are using (low concentrations), and given the fact that there is very little residual left on the inside of carboys and bottles, there is nothing to worry about. Don't know if you realize or not, but betadine is registered for oral use (no swallowing, but is obviously not that dangerous).

If you want to use Starsan go for it (I do), but don't spend too much time worrying about the formulations of sanitation products.

Back