Adding Rye to a partial mash recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

signpost

Reaction score
I've been working on a partial mash recipe for a Standard English Bitter and I want to include a bit of Rye in the recipe (I'm calling it Quite Rye-ght!).

Anyway, this is what I have so far.

2 lbs. Marris Otter
1 lbs. Rye
8 oz. Biscuit
8 oz. Crystal 60L
6 oz. Chocolate malt

2 lbs. Muntons extra light DME

est. OG 1.035

My question is, will 1 lbs. of Rye be enough? too much? idiotic?

FWIW, here's the planned hop schedule:

0.3 oz. Galena 12% AA - 60 min.
0.2 oz. Galena 12% AA - 20 min.
1 oz. Kent Goldings 5% AA - 12 min.
1 oz. Kent Goldings 5% AA - 5 min.
0.5 oz. UK Brambling Cross 6% AA - 2 min.

0.5 oz. UK Brambling Cross 6% AA - dry-hop 7 days

My calculator tells me that should come out to about 30 IBUs. Based on BrewPal, this comes out just about right in style by the numbers (except its a little too dark). Obviously, the Rye is out of style, but I just feel like mixing it up a bit.

It may seem silly to use just 2 lbs. of extract, instead of just doing an all-grain recipe. I just don't have the equipment to do that, but I want as much of the fresh, real grain taste and character I can get. So, I'm working on BIAB partial-mash recipes.

Any thoughts?

My personal preference is to use flaked rye, since in my humble opinion it gives more of the rye taste without loseing the diastatic power needed to convert it (since you only have 2 lbs of Marris Otter in the recipe. I also believe that starting off with 1lb of rye (flaked or otherwise) is a great place to start. As far as the hop additions go, some of the rye character may get lost in the earthy/spicieness of the EKG additions. Haven't used brambling cross, so I have no comment on those. (again, just my humble opinion. Please feel free to ignore it. I honestly want to know how this turns out, because it sounds awesome.)

I've never used Rye at all before, so your comment leads me to ask: What are the differences between normal rye and flaked rye? Are there other variations I should research? I don't know a lot (read: nothing) about the diastatic power of grains, and how it affects the different grains in the bill. I just assume it has something to do with the presence of the enzymes needed to convert the starch to sugar, but I don't understand much of anything about the process.

Also, I included the EKG hops because they are pretty common in a Standard Bitter. I figured adding the spiciness of rye would be a good match and actually reinforce the EKG character. I'm definitely thinking of this as a Bitter with Rye added, rather than a Rye beer fit into the style of a Bitter. So, I'm not so much trying to feature the Rye as use the Rye as a slight twist on the style.

OK, here's the story of the origin of this recipe (was this subconsciously why I started this thread?). I pulled out my iPod, opened BrewPal, and told my dad I was going to start making an original recipe. I gave him 2 options of styles, and asked him to choose which one I would aim for. Then, I asked for suggestions for the name. He instantly said, "Quite right!" I couldn't help but shift 'right' to 'rye-ght' and I was off to the races. I've fiddled with it quite a bit. Did some research and checked out quite a few standard bitter recipes. Made my own adjustments. And ended up with what I posted earlier.

In normal rye, the starches haven't been gelatinized which makes it harder to for the enzymes in the mash to convert the starches to sugars. In the flaked rye, those starches have been gelatinized and are more easily converted to sugar.

Diastatic power is a measure of the amount of enzymes a grain provides to convert starches into sugar.

Back