Added the priming sugar too early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eseymour

Reaction score
Ok so i got started on my first batch and I have to admit I was a little confused, however it is already a lot of fun. When I was heating up my water and adding the Pre-Hopped Malt extract and second can of un-hopped extract as recommended by the supplier, I also added what appears to be the priming sugar. I was under the impression that you need to add sugar so it could turn to alcohol, but I never stopped to think that it might already by in the pre-made recipes I purchased.

My question is...is this batch ruined? If it isn't when should I bottle?

I started this batch on 6/3.

:confused:

No, don't worry. The extra sugar, if that's the case of course, will add a tiny extra amount of alcohol.

Just purchase more priming sugar (Actually you can use any type sugar) for priming the bottles which could be in 2 or 3 weeks +, depending on the brew of course.

Ok great! I am doing a simple ale, I believe the fermentation will be done by next Saturday.

So you are saying that I can use any sugar? Like some household granulated sugar will do?

I was thinking about taking the appropriate amount of sugar, dissolving it in about 2 cups of water. Then I will add that mixture to my bottling bucket with the beer before bottling.

Sound good?

Ok great! I am doing a simple ale, I believe the fermentation will be done by next Saturday.

So you are saying that I can use any sugar? Like some household granulated sugar will do?

I was thinking about taking the appropriate amount of sugar, dissolving it in about 2 cups of water. Then I will add that mixture to my bottling bucket with the beer before bottling.

Sound good?

Yup . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Welcome to HBT!

You didn't even come close to ruining your batch of beer. You have to work much harder than that. Stick around of a few dozen batches and maybe you'll work your way up to ruining a batch but I doubt it. :D

Back