extract storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoCrew

Reaction score
My local store is 60 miles round trip. I bought two extract kits today, what is the best way to store the DME and LME? I think the hops are ok at room temp in their sealed foil bags. I have the yeast in the fridge. I don't know the best way to store the extract for a month or so.

Thanks

The shelf. It'll be fine for a month no sweat. Hops will be okay too, but refrigeration doesn't hurt.

The best way to store it is cold for lme and hops. For me, lme would be in the fridge, hops in the freezer. Cold temperatures slow down staling/oxidation reactions. The dme, don't think it makes much difference. Storing that in the fridge or freezer seems really weird. :p

I store hop packets in a zip lock freezer bag on the top shelf of the freezer. Yeast in the fridge butter cubby & LME on the fridge shelf. DME on the upper pantry shelf.

Oh I hadn't really thought I should do this but it wouldn't hurt. I normally buy one or two kits at a time so this would definitely be good because sometimes I can't brew for a month or more at a time and I just have kits sitting on the shelf. Good to know!

Back