What is this in my blackberry mel must??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsc213

Reaction score
So, I'm new to this, but I've already got a gallon of JAOM going and it's been bubbling away just fine for a couple weeks now. I just started a gallon of blackberry melomel a little while ago. Based on the advice of the guys at my LHBS I poured the must in the primary on top of the blackberries and added a crushed campden tablet. The plan is to let it sit for about 24 hours, then pitch the yeast. I just looked at the carboy (about an hour after putting everything together and dropping in the campden). Everything looks great on the surface, but if you look closely, and especially if you shine a light through it, it looks almost like there's a bunch of fiberous, cotton-like stuff floating around (sorry for the terrible description...that's about the best I can do.) Not sure if this is normal or not and what causes it. Any ideas?

Did you use whole blackberries ? Frozen ? Canned puréed sanitized mix ?

scottv said:
Did you use whole blackberries ? Frozen ? Canned puréed sanitized mix ?

Whole frozen blackberries. About 1.5-2 lbs. Thawed them before using them, obviously.

I'm going to say its just particles from the fruit. I bought sanitized puréed peaches that did the same thing. :) now it's all settled at the bottom of my carboy.

Cool. Thanks for the response. I was planning to pitch the yeast tomorrow anyway and see what happened. I was careful about sanitizing and putting it all together, so I didn't think it could be anything too crazy. I'd just never read/heard about that happening, so I was slightly concerned. If it doesn't clear up or settle to the bottom during fermentation I'm sure you'll hear from me again!

It will settle when fermentation dies down. Just remember patience.

Back