Making 2nd Apfelwein and want less winey taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
Here is the background story. I tried my first apfelwein after I traded 3 bottles from HBT member. I split one at work between a few people, drank one at home by myself and gave away the last bottle to a friend. Today is 3 months since I made my own batch. I followed original Edwort's recipe with the exception that I used 1 gallon of cranberry juice with 4 gallons of apple juice. I tasted the sample and it feels winey like my original sampling from HBT member. I've done extensive reading and know that it will shine after 8 months mark. Mine and the other one was at 3 months when it was sampled.

I was expecting to make another batch and purchased some yeast in advance. I have to pick between Lalvin EC-1118 or Red Star Pasteur Champagne. From other readings and I also thinking about not adding 2 lbs of sugar or possibly just adding 1 lb only.

C&C is welcomed & appreciated.

PS. My batch is at 0.94 and I never had any kind of beer go in this territory, the only one that came close was French Saison.

I've fermented wort with wine yeast, and it tastes like wine. I use ale yeasts in all of my cider fermentations now. They don't attenuate as well, leaving a lot more apple flavor behind, with much less conditioning time.

Try using ale yeast or removing some of the sugar. I did a test batch with a hefe yeast and while good tasted like sour apple candy.

I read about hefe yeast and plan on doing a batch in the future when I make a hefe. I have Witbier yeast which I will use for a batch soon and maybe I'll dump some apfelwein on the yeast slurry.

Back