An Englishman in Brazil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCBrazil

Reaction score
It's warmer than New York but probably more difficult to get equipment and ingredients.
If anyone has recipes for simple wines - no campden, peptic enzymes etc I would be grateful.
Ingredients for beer seem more available although equipment is very expensive. Any suggestions for starter kit improvised from stuff around the home would also be welcome.
Glad to be amongst you and hope to contribute with more posts later.

Hmm... if you have access to ingredients, the equipment shouldn't be a huge problem. If you can find an autosiphon, you're already in business. Even a basic hygenic siphon can be made from three pieces of tubing and a T-joint. If you don't have/can't get a hydrometer, you can substitute large amounts of patience.

Bucket + tinfoil = fermenter + airlock.

Bucket + spigot = bottling bucket

Let us know when questions pop up. If they haven't already been answered several times, we can usually help. If they have, we can point you in the right direction.

Welcome aboard! :mug:

Hi,

If you are in São Paulo you can buy ingredients with us from "ACerva Paulista", the brewers association of this state witch I am member of.

We buy barley, hops and yeast in big quantity then we share with member, this the easiest way to acquire home brew ingredients and material.

Feel free to write me, I will be glad to to help you.

Thanks,

Rene

Do you have access to any food grade buckets? Try resteraunts and bakeries, but don't get any that hold anything pickeled or briny....try stuff like soy sauce buckets from chinese joints, or frosting from bakeries. Or look around for 5 gallon water bottles, plastic or glass will work, you won't be able to brew fll five gaalon batches in them but you shold be able to get away with 4-4.5 gallon batches.

A lot of other stuff can be found in cooking and hardware store...funnels and things like that.

Any suggestions for starter kit improvised from stuff around the home would also be welcome.

You can use HDPE water containers, such as the ones shown below, for fermentation.

ImageViewer.aspx

If you use HDPE containers, you can also "no-chill", which eliminates the need for a wort chiller.

Hi. Going to Sao Paulo on Thursday, wondering if any of you could recommend where to go to meet/taste the brazilian beer brewing scene (such as micro breweries and brew pubs).

Hi,

The biggest bar in Sao Paulo that sells Brazilian craftbeer is locate at Vila Madalena neighborhood:

Bar Anhanguera
Rua Aspicuelta, 595
www.baranhanguera.com.br

If you go there, you can ask the owner (mr Ricardo), for homebrews that he might have outside the menu.

There are smaller in other places too, send me the address of your hotel or where you will stay and I can provide more suggestions.

Rene

Hi,

The biggest bar in Sao Paulo that sells Brazilian craftbeer is locate at Vila Madalena neighborhood:

Bar Anhanguera
Rua Aspicuelta, 595
www.baranhanguera.com.br

If you go there, you can ask the owner (mr Ricardo), for homebrews that he might have outside the menu.

There are smaller in other places too, send me the address of your hotel or where you will stay and I can provide more suggestions.

Rene

Excellent, I will check tomorrow when I am a work and PM you the address of the hotel.
Cheers!

Anyone in the SP area should take a trip to Campinas to check out Cervejaria Universitária. This is the best beer around and the owner is a great guy. He gave me a full tour while I was there and gave me a yeast sample.

m.

Back