coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BayviewBrewer

Reaction score
Ok so I'm getting ready to brew a stout this week and I want to do an addition of 1 half oz of coffee. Can I add the coffee to my mash or would it be better if I just cold steeped it and added it to my secondary? I have used coffe before but I have always cold steeped and added it later. Thanks for your suggestions.
Cheers

I add the grinds to the boil during the last 5 minutes...when I whirlpool they are right there in the middle after I transfer to the primary.

I caution you on the amount of cold steeped coffee you add. I did half cup ground coffee to 1 cup water, yielded approx. half cup of extract. Added it to 5 gallons in keg, over powering coffee flavor. If I were to do it again I would cut it down to half the extract.

I have only used coffee once but my beer turned out amazing, even local brew club wanted to pass it around.

Double handfull of whole beans into the secondary, then start sampling until it gets to where you want. Did not need to sanatize, cold steep the beans etc doing it this way. Its probably less efficient, but its flexible and easy!

if you get the coffee hot it will leach acids that will effect your beer in negative ways so cold steeping/brewing or whole beans is the way to go.

Back