Low Carb-forgot to stir after priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camping57

Reaction score
My last batch is low on carbonation. Not flat; just not very highly carbed. It's been about 4 weeks in the bottles now. I was thinking though my process just now and I realize that after I racked onto the priming solution I never stirred things up. Do you think that most of my priming solution sat in the very bottom of my bottling bucket and didn't get adequately mixed in?

I have heard many people say the swirling of the brew from the racking mixes everything sufficiently. My experience on the other hand is that if I don't give a gentle stir with a sanitized spoon my carbonation is uneven.

My last batch is low on carbonation. Not flat; just not very highly carbed. It's been about 4 weeks in the bottles now. I was thinking though my process just now and I realize that after I racked onto the priming solution I never stirred things up. Do you think that most of my priming solution sat in the very bottom of my bottling bucket and didn't get adequately mixed in?

Maybe. It might well improve in another 4.

I have never stirred my priming sugar, I only allow the gentle swirl to mix as it racks and I have never had any carbonation issues in bottling over 300 gallons of beer, some beer just takes longer to fully carbonate and condition. I would rather be patient than risk oxidizing my beer by stirring it, gently or not I consider it to be an unnecessary risk.

I failed to stir my last batch and 2 of the bottles exploded. All the others were fine. I racked on top of the priming sugar. My theory is that some of the sugar pooled in the bottom and I got a high concentration in the last few bottles. I stirred my other batches and didn't have any problems.

Back