Splitting a wine kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jspence1

Reaction score
I bought a wine kit last night. I have run into a small problem, the wine is a 6g kit and I only have 5g carboys. Is it ok to split the kit into 2 carboys of 3g each? If not it;s off to the lhbs for a 6g :(

You'll need another yeast packet, but other than halving the measures for your additions, you should be fine.

Of course, then your down two carboys instead of adding a 6G for this batch. I'd much rather add one carboy than tie up two for however long you plan to let your wine age.

I'm very new to wine making (beer making as well, for that matter) but I do know all the various instructions I've read tell you to top off to keep the head space minimized; I'd think having the extra head space would be an issue.

Rick

Well, I've done it that way, sort of!

What I did was make the kit in the ale pail, as per directions for primary. Then, instead of racking to a 6 gallon carboy, I racked to a 5 gallon carboy and a 1 gallon jug (the bungs and airlocks fit a Carlo Rossi jug nicely!). Degassing was ok- I just shook the small jug, and did the degassing instructions for the 5 gallon carboy. As long as you top up appropriately, I don't see an issue with two 3 gallons either.

I was digging through the used equipment I got the other day and found a 6.5g pail. That will get me going at least, and save me a special trip to the lhbs. Now when I make the trip I can enjoy it :)

Hmmm...I think that I'm looking at an opportunity where I may be able to learn something new here!

I can see where, if jsp already has a suitable 6+ gallon bucket for a primary and a gallon jug to use as a supplemental secondary, this would be an ideal solution to this problem!

And, as my studying has taught me, the extra (huge) headspace generated by splitting a 6-gallon batch between two 5-gallon carboys may cause problems with oxidation.

But, if going the route of splitting the 6-gallon batch between two 5-gallon bottles, and then topping-off is not an issue, then how can you top-off a kit without ruining the integrity of the kit?

What other options would one have than, 1) topping-off with water, 2) topping-off with a sugared water mixture, or 3) topping-off with juice?

Hopefully, there is a fourth option I'm just not seeing here!

What ever expectations one had upon choosing a kit will be lost forever if forced to split the batch, and then top-off, right?

I'm sorry, but this seems like a major issue to me.

Pogo

I think he was going to split it between two 3 gal. carboys and then yooper had the idea of a 5gal carboy and a 1 gal. carboy. Both of those would work fine but splitting it the way you were talking about would probably ruin it.

What ever expectations one had upon choosing a kit will be lost forever if forced to split the batch, and then top-off, right?
I believe it's normal to top off with a similar wine; I know I've done it for every wine kit I've ever made (that'd be one). I had six gallon carboys, but going from primary to secondary and secondary to tertiary I added wine to top it off. I wouldn't add two gallons, though.

Rick

Well...I was definitely right...I did learn something from this thread!

After you guys commented, I went back and reviewed the posts.

For some reason I was thinking that Yooper was saying that she didn't see a problem splitting a 6-gallon batch between two 5-gallon carboys.

But, in truth, what she really said was two 3-gallon carboys, which of course, makes perfect sense.

So...What I have learned from this thread today, is that I CAN'T read!!!

Sorry I wasted your time with my blunder!

Rick - Thanks for the comment! Not having used a kit yet, I can see the benefit to topping-off with a similar wine, just to replace the tastings from the gravity samples, if nothing else, huh?

So, I really have learned something new today after all, thanks again!

Pogo

I blame all my reading problems on drinking:drunk: It's hard to read when you have to cover one eye to stop the double vision. :D

Thanks for the quick responces I'm going to use the found bucket, and pick up a 6g carboy next time i'm in the lhbs.

I'm sorry, but this seems like a major issue to me.

Pogo

You're right- that much headspace, whether bucket or large carboy, would be a major issue. In some kits, you're instructed to not top off until after degassing. Even so, I wouldn't want that much headspace. Two 3 gallon carboys would be ok, though, I like the idea of a 5 and a 1 gallon better- I think that the narrowness of a one gallon jug would really discourage any oxidation.

Yea I think it does discourage it pretty good. Anytime I make 5 gal. batches of fresh stuff I usually use a little more at the begining and end with like a half gal. of wine in a one gallon jug. I let that in there for a few weeks and use it to top up after racking the 5 gallon jug over after secondary and that has worked pretty good for me. I don't like the idea of topping off with water though.

You'll need another yeast packet, but other than halving the measures for your additions, you should be fine.

Of course, then your down two carboys instead of adding a 6G for this batch. I'd much rather add one carboy than tie up two for however long you plan to let your wine age.

+1 but you should just go ahead and buy a 7+ gallon fermenter with a lid for the primary. This will give you room to work with.

Back