Spiced pumpkin ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saersy

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new to this site and just wanted to post this recipe I've came up with just from looking at others like this and also wanted to try and make a clone of the saranac pumpkin ale which I really loved let me know what you think.

1.7kg coopers real ale
1.5kg coopers amber malt
1-2 cans of pumpkins
250g brown sugar
4tsb ginger
2tsb cinnamon
0.5tsb allspice
0.25tsb whole cloves
1 vanilla bean pod

Let me know what you all think

Seems like a lot of ginger, which is pretty powerful stuff. Personally, I'd take it down to no more than a 0.5 teaspoon. You can always add more later if you think it needs more.

Yeah I've made some more changes and I think this beer is going to turn out amazing hopefully very simular to saranac pumpkin ale cheers for your input

So I brew this today but made a few changes

Can of coopers real ale
Can of coopers amber malt
1.2kg of pumpkin roasted then puréed
250g brown sugar
1.5tsp cinnamon
1.5tsp vanilla extract
1tsp all spice
1tsp ginger
1tsp cloves

Og= 1.042 and I made 23L

Can't wait till its finish ill let you know when it's done

I'm trying to brew a good pumpkin beer too. The first try tasted like :ban: because I used weizen yeast. I'm not an expert but I've got to ask, did the clove come back to bite you in the butt? Seems like a lot for such a powerful spice.

It's currently day 7 of fermentation and I've given the brew a try and it tastes really good but I think it needs more spice I might mix another lot of the same amount of spices or even half add them to a pot of boiled water and rack the pumpkin beer on top of it hopefully give it that much more of a kick. Can't wait until its done!

Kegged my pumpkin ale a couple of days ago and tried it today taste really good has a bit more bite then the saranac ale which I like the spice don't come out as much as the saranac but you can really smell them overall a great tasting beer very happy

When did you add the spices? That's a whole lot (the ones I've brewed use one teaspoon TOTAL of all spices) so you should definitely be able to taste it. I add mine near flameout. Are you boiling yours the whole time?

I added the spices during the boil and then added half of the recipes spices in the secondary and racked ontop.

Back