Enough grains/sugar for Pale Ale kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattyIceGfunk

Reaction score
I got a pale ale kit which came with 2lb of DME, 6 oz of crushed crystal, and 3.3lb of light hopped LME. It only came with 1 oz of UK First Gold. I am planning on adding some centennial(1 oz)to the boil and dry hop with casscade(2 oz) as well. Will I need to pick up more grains or ME?

It is,after all,a pale ale. Not an IPA. but to be honest,I use 2 oz of 2 different hops in my APA. No dry hop,but some do use .5-1oz dry hop for a week. I prefer them to be a pale ale.not a weak IPA. All preference,really.

I got a pale ale kit which came with 2lb of DME, 6 oz of crushed crystal, and 3.3lb of light hopped LME. It only came with 1 oz of UK First Gold. I am planning on adding some centennial(1 oz)to the boil and dry hop with casscade(2 oz) as well. Will I need to pick up more grains or ME?

No, you're pretty good with that much LME/DME. That will give you an OG of 1.042. Ideally you'd have one more pound of DME but you can get by with what you have, and end up with a 4% beer.

If you add one more pound of DME, you'd have a 5% beer.

I added another ouch of DME. Must have not needed it cause my OG was 1.050 and was projected at 1.045 by the kit. I didn't end up adding the first gold and added 2 oz of cascade throughout the boil. I'll probably dry hop with centennial. Thanks again for the help!

MattyIceGfunk said:
I added another ouch of DME. Must have not needed it cause my OG was 1.050 and was projected at 1.045 by the kit. I didn't end up adding the first gold and added 2 oz of cascade throughout the boil. I'll probably dry hop with centennial. Thanks again for the help!

Pound of DME that is.

Back