Against my better judgement...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
...I'm going to rack a beer off of a yeast cake after only 5 days in primary.

I'm brewing tomorrow and I don't have any other suitable yeast (nor a starter) for what I'm doing.....so I have to use the yeast from my last batch.

I don't see any evidence that it will hurt it--the beer fermented pretty quickly, and not noticing any more activity. I'll make sure to pick up a little bit of the yeast though when I rack it.

I need a big yeast cake though--doing my first 10 gallon batch tomorrow--and using the brand new fermenter. SO PSYCHED!!!! :ban:

Anyone TOTALLY advise against racking so early? (And no, I have not taken a refracto reading...and prolly won't)

RDWHAHB - I'm sure it will be fine Dude. As you know many beers can ferment out in 24 or 48 hours, let alone 120 hours...

The yeast still in suspension may knock it down a few gravity points after roused going into secondary and that'll do.

What kind of fermenter are you using for 10g?

SilkkyBrew said:
RDWHAHB - I'm sure it will be fine Dude. As you know many beers can ferment out in 24 or 48 hours, let alone 120 hours...

The yeast still in suspension may knock it down a few gravity points after roused going into secondary and that'll do.

What kind of fermenter are you using for 10g?

Thanks...I hope it works out...I'm confident it will.

Check my gallery. ;) It is too beautiful for words.

In 'microbrewed adventures" Papazain talks about an English brewery that does what they call a 'double drop' and rack 24 hours after fermentation starts. (beyond-the-ordinary ordinary bitter, pg 117)

I wouldnt worry about it.

Ivan Lendl said:
In 'microbrewed adventures" Papazain talks about an English brewery that does what they call a 'double drop' and rack 24 hours after fermentation starts. (beyond-the-ordinary ordinary bitter, pg 117)

I wouldnt worry about it.

I have that book but never got all the way through it.

Wonder what the purpose of that would be?

I just remembered I have a brew that's been in primary for about two and a half weeks now... I had completely forgotten I brewed an ESB :D. Suppose I ought to get out the Iodophor and get it racked, but another night won't hurt, I don't suppose...

Racking at five days instead of seven? When I first started brewing, I transferred as soon as the airlock bubbles were reasonably slow. I wouldn't even think twice about it, but then I'm not as seasoned as most people here.

Congrats on the new setup!

Back