crud on top of my bottled beer, need some reassurance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bergman1118

Reaction score
I've got brownish white crud sitting on top of about a half dozen or so of my brown ales.. it is not really scary looking shi*t, no stringiness or anything so i figured that it is just yeast.. can i rest assured that this is the case? it has been in bottles for 4 weeks now and some bottles have this while others do not.. and also, i've been having some gushers. only 2 (22 oz bottles) were serious gushers where i lost about half the beer, most of the others just slowly creep up to the top where they either stop or i've already poured into the glass. could this just be caused by still actively fermenting yeasties? the beer tastes ok for the most part (not as good as the last batch i gotta say), i mean there's nothing heinous about them, but then again i don't know what an infection tastes like.

More than likely it's bottle krauzens....The yeast is behaving just as if it were in a carboy, fermenting the priming sugar. and will fall down at some point.

If you would leave them alone and not stare at them obsessively, you wouldn't even know...:D

rdwhahb1.jpg

Back