Big beer on smaller beer cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darth5aint

Reaction score
I brewed an Irish Red OG 1.050 using Wyeast Irish Ale, that im racking to secondary in a few days. I have a stout planned with an OG of 1.085 that i wanted to use the same yeast. If i fermented on the yeast cake would that be too high of a yeast count? So should i just pour wort on cake or wash yeast first using part of cake but not all?

It would probably be over pitching a little but I do it all the time, especially with a cleanish yeast that really won't be affected by the over pitching.

If you want to do it by the book then wash and add 1/2 to 2/3 the yeast slurry.

What kind of off flavors are prominent from over pitching and do you think Irish Ale yeast is highly susceptible to those off flavors

Take a look at MrMalty.com and go to the yeast tools. You should only need about 6.5oz of slurry. A bit more cannot hurt. Only time you need to be careful is using slurry from a very hoppy beer to a non hoppy beer or from a dark, heavy style to a lighter style.
You should be good to go with your plan.

A direct pitch on top would work great. I've done it twice and one was my RIS (1.105), the other being a big Tripel. I've also done the wash thing for brews below 1.070.

I would try and rack off as much of the Irish red as possible, but I doubt you would get much flavor transfer to a big stout like you're planning.

Back