A couple questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorofMuppets

brewing beer leads to happy life
Reaction score
I bought an 10 gallon aluminum stock pot from amazon for about 40 bucks shipped.

I filled it to within 2 inches of the top and brought to a boil for 30 minutes.
It has no a bit of discoloration which I know is normal. I have read that you can also put these pots in a oven for a bit of time to add to the oxidation. Can anyone comment on that? Should I not bother?

I just want to make sure I get the pot ready to brew next week when my brew bud is coming to make our first batch.

Is a ten gallon pot overkill for doing 5 gallon batches or will I be happy with the head space?

Amazon has a 44 quart stainless steel pot from Bayou Classic for $77--with free shipping for prime membership. I use it and love it.

The initial boil should have left a layer of aluminum oxide, a dullish gray color, if you have this no need to put in oven. just be careful when washing in the future, you do not want to scrub this layer off - just use a PBW or Oxiclean solution and a soft rag to clean.

Pastor, I'm sorry that I don't have any advise for you.
I just wanted to complement you on your awesome forum name.
****in' A.
That's good ****!!
:rockin:

Latest posts

Back