Request for Comment: Manifold Mock-up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tedski

Reaction score
So, this is what I came up with for my manifold. Let me know what you think before I start cutting slots and sweating joints. I've never done all-grain before, so I'm not entirely sure what would be the variables. I'm just going by some of the stuff I've seen off of here. I wanted to leave the inner legs not perforated to allow for the best siphon possible. The outer legs will collect the wort and bring them into the inner legs. Does anyone see any issue with this setup?

Thanks in advance.

manifold_mock_up.jpg

Looks like a nice setup. Good job! I think the slots on the indicated arms will work. You don't need to sweat the legs on the ends though if you don't want too. Might make it a little easier to clean.

Only 4 holes letting the wort in? After reading John Palmers "How to brew" in pages 298-305 there is a good amount on fluid mechanics. If you don’t want to get the book I would at least say try to build one like on the 2nd page on here How to Brew - By John Palmer - Appendix D - Building a Mash/Lauter Tun

Hard to explain but the problem with only having a few holes in your manifold is that it is going to suck in the wort directly above it rather than uniformly recirculation the wort there will be large gaps near the bottom that wont get recirculated then the areas directly above will get over circulated which is will take points off your efficiency.

Hope this helps

+1 to not sweating joints. You've probably got enough of a friction fit for a pretty solid manifold. I have a very similar design for my recirc manifold, and I really only sweated the main body.

I'd consider a union or compression sleeve+nut so you can easiloy unscrew the manifold after each brew. You will definitely need to get it out and clean it....rotted grain is NASTY.

Only 4 holes letting the wort in? After reading John Palmers "How to brew" in pages 298-305 there is a good amount on fluid mechanics. If you don’t want to get the book I would at least say try to build one like on the 2nd page on here How to Brew - By John Palmer - Appendix D - Building a Mash/Lauter Tun

Hard to explain but the problem with only having a few holes in your manifold is that it is going to suck in the wort directly above it rather than uniformly recirculation the wort there will be large gaps near the bottom that wont get recirculated then the areas directly above will get over circulated which is will take points off your efficiency.

Hope this helps

Those are just indicating dots as a legend. I'm going to do 1/8" perforations 1/3 thickness every 3/4".

+1 to not sweating joints. You've probably got enough of a friction fit for a pretty solid manifold. I have a very similar design for my recirc manifold, and I really only sweated the main body.

I'd consider a union or compression sleeve+nut so you can easiloy unscrew the manifold after each brew. You will definitely need to get it out and clean it....rotted grain is NASTY.

That setup easily unscrews. I was only going to sweat those few joints so I can still clean it easily.

After some thought, I won't sweat the caps on to make it easier to blow out the legs. I just wanted to sweat together straight lengths to minimize the number of parts.

Latest posts

Back