False Bottom Dip Tube Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewVegas

Reaction score
I made dip tube from copper that goes to the bottom of the mash tun. Is there a reason that the diagram shows it flared out under the screen? Gonna test out the new false bottom tomorrow.

0011.jpg

The flared end of the dip tube is supposed to prevent the tube from slipping out of the center hole in the FB. The problem with that arrangement is that the FB itself can lift up if disturbed when stirring etc and can allow grain to get under it. I have the exact same FB. I enlarged the hole to 5/8" which will permit 1/2" ID rigid copper to be used for the dip tube. I installed a pipe union at the mid point on the horizontal section which allow for easy installation/removal. I sweated a copper "ring" collar to the vertical section which holds the FB firmly in place. The "ring" is a section cut from a copper coupling and slips over the end of the vertical tube. Here's a pic showing the half of the DIP tube that goes into the FB. If you look closely, you can see the copper "ring" collar just below the elbow. You need to measure and cut carefully to make this work right. You asked why the DIP tube does not reach the bottom of the kettle. I'm not sure why they show it that way in the diagram, but it should reach closer to the bottom than that. I have about a 3/8" gap between the end of the tube and the kettle bottom. You want some clearance for uninhibited flow, but it need not be a huge gap as they show:

4706308671_2e46f56072_b.jpg

This pic shows the entire dip tube assembly:

3848169893_f2463c77fc_z.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. I ended up with something similar, but the 1/2" copper tubing that I used for the dip tube fit VERY snugly in the 1/2" hole in the flase bottom so I didn't create a way to keep it in place (like your collar). I'll post a pic after brew day today. Thanks again!

Thanks for the pictures. I ended up with something similar, but the 1/2" copper tubing that I used for the dip tube fit VERY snugly in the 1/2" hole in the flase bottom so I didn't create a way to keep it in place (like your collar). I'll post a pic after brew day today. Thanks again!

Vegas I see. I spent some time at Lake Mead Base just north of Nellis many years ago. It's certainly a different place now vs. back then. I really miss the weekly trips up to the ranch. They always gave us the military discount.:D

Back