Brewing today wondering about my starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
I used extra light dme for my starter on a wheat beer. Should I have used some wheat dme?

also the thing is at High krausen right now should I wait for everything to settle out then decant the wort to pitch?

Would putting it in the fridge now be a good way to speed up the clearing process?

Sorry for so many questions just trying to see if I can brew today or not

DME is fine for a starter- and pitching at at high krausen would be ideal!

I wouldn't put it in the fridge now because you want the yeast to keep working. You can just pitch the whole thing.

DME is fine for a starter- and pitching at at high krausen would be ideal!

I wouldn't put it in the fridge now because you want the yeast to keep working. You can just pitch the whole thing.

I was afraid of mixing that with the wheat wort i'm going to make because od flavor it's like 2 quarts of starter.

Thanks Yooper I guess brew day is today.

I was afraid of mixing that with the wheat wort i'm going to make because od flavor it's like 2 quarts of starter.

Thanks Yooper I guess brew day is today.

Well, the wheat DME is usually 35% wheat and 65% barley anyway, so I don't see the hard in barley DME for the starter. 2 quarts won't appreciably change the amount, and at high krausen you won't have any problem with it going well.

Back