Hoppy Kolschmas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madtown Brew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 2565 Kolsch
Yeast Starter
repitch from previous batch
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
9 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
approx. 18 days @ 52 - 65* F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Hooray! My first contribution to the recipe database.

I made this for Christmas with some extra grains I had laying around. I also hate to only use yeast once then toss it - seems like such a waste. This one was made with the (washed) yeast from a traditional kolsch recipe.
Turned out fantastic with a lucious floral hop flavor/aroma, moderately bitter, and a beautiful light amber color.

This is a good recipe for those who want to experiment with some of the lesser used hop varieties. Sterling can be substituted with many other varieties including but not limited to: Mt Hood, Liberty, Vangaurd, Strisselspalt, or almost any of the New Zealand aroma varieties. I'd stay away from the heavy citrus American hops, unless that's what you like/want. The flavor will vary depending on which variety you choose, but the brew will be great no matter what.

Feel free to change the name to suit the season.

** Note: final batch volume is 4.5 gallons. This allowed me to ferment it in a 5 gallon carboy (with blowoff tube, of course).

Grain Bill:

3 # Pale 2-row (Briess)
5 # Maris Otter (Muntons)
8 oz. Crystal 20 (Briess)
8 oz. Crystal 40 (Briess)
8 oz. Belgian CaraVienne (Weyermann)

Mash Schedule:

Calculated for 75% effeciency.
Standard 1.25 qts/lb. of water.
Single infusion mash @ 152* F for 60 min.

Collect approximately 5.5 gallons of sweet wort.

Hops:

1 oz. Horizon (11.6% AA) 30 min
1 oz. Sterling (5.9% AA) 15 min

1/2 oz. Horizon (11.6% AA) flameout
1/2 oz. Sterling (5.9% AA) flameout

1/2 oz. Horizon (11.6% AA) dryhop
1/2 oz. Sterling (5.9% AA) dryhop

All hops are whole leaf.

Additional ingredients:

1 teaspoon irish moss @ 15 min

Fermentation:

Cool wort to 52* F then pitch. Once activity is noticed, allow fermenting wort temperature to rise approximately 1* F per day until it reaches 65* F. Maintain temp @ 65* F until complete.

I do not use a secondary, and dispite many reports that 2565 doesn't clear well, I've never had any issues with getting the yeast to drop. If your really worried about having a crystal brew, then a week of crash cooling prior to kegging/bottling would likely help.

Given that this recipe matches more the guidelines of a APA, shouldn't it be listed there?

You may be right. I'm pretty bad at properly categorizing my brews.

I just figured that with the lower ferm temps, it belonged in one of the hybrid sections.

If the mods feel it's misplaced, by all means move it.

Back