Planting trees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmunroferguson1

Reaction score
Hey all.

Seriously got the cider fever. I have apples trees growing home in scotland and they are really good although I have no idea what type they are.. It's quite a mixture From cookers to carb

However I want to plant some new trees and wanted to ask what type of cider tree would be suitable for a cooler climate.

I've got five apple trees that I helped my parents plant 20 years ago. Macintosh, Gravenstein, Golden Delicious, Fuji, and Johnathan. Bountiful crops every year. Need lots of tending and pruning. Though these are eating apples, I make gallons of cider from them each year.

Here is a list of cultivars on Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_apple_cultivars

Also, get your hands on a copy of this book, it's a handy reference.

One good way of guaranteeing cold hardiness is to buy from a local dealer or a wholesaler who is local. I buy my trees from a nursery in the same latitude as me and the next state over. Another way is to find out where the trees originated from. Asking the dealer is always good too. I really can't help with specific trees because I'm not from Scotland.

Back