So I've been lazy and need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamminjoenapo

Reaction score
I'll be the first to say I slacked at the end of last year and didn't even cut down my first year hops vines from last year. So now that its warming up I went to check on them and see this. I'm assuming it is the crown and I just need to dig it down and bury it. I at first thought it was a weed until I saw it connected to some of the old hop vine. Am I correct or should I do something else. Sorry for the terrible pictures.

IMAG0932_zps7115c189.jpg

That looks like a very health crown.

"and I just need to dig it down and bury it"
I wouldn't do that. Just carefully trim back the dead bines. You can also trim back the live ones to the number that you want to train for the year.

That looks like a very health crown.

"and I just need to dig it down and bury it"
I wouldn't do that. Just carefully trim back the dead bines. You can also trim back the live ones to the number that you want to train for the year.

Should I bury it in some more dirt? It seems like its a little too close to the surface.

"Should I bury it in some more dirt? It seems like its a little too close to the surface."

Why? Hops <3 the surface! It's the place to be. There's light and co2 and all the fun. As long as the rhizomes and roots are below the surface, all is good in the world. If it's an aesthetic thing, throw some mulch around the crown.

In all honesty, hops are pretty hearty. You could probably bury it without doing much harm, but again: why bother?

That's a big crown that must have an extensive root system. I wouldn't move it at all, just side-dress it by digging in some horse poop.

Also, it looks like every last shoot it put out last year was allowed to grow unmolested. Might want to try just running a handful of bines this season and prune the rest...

Cheers!

"Should I bury it in some more dirt? It seems like its a little too close to the surface."

Why? Hops <3 the surface! It's the place to be. There's light and co2 and all the fun. As long as the rhizomes and roots are below the surface, all is good in the world. If it's an aesthetic thing, throw some mulch around the crown.

In all honesty, hops are pretty hearty. You could probably bury it without doing much harm, but again: why bother?

I agree completely I tried my best to not do much and it grew well in the earthtainer.

That's a big crown that must have an extensive root system. I wouldn't move it at all, just side-dress it by digging in some horse poop.

Also, it looks like every last shoot it put out last year was allowed to grow unmolested. Might want to try just running a handful of bines this season and prune the rest...

Cheers!

Its only a year old too. Hopefully I'll get a pound of hops this year instead of a few ounces.

Let about four grow and salt and butter the rest in a skillet at say medium high. Good looking crown!

I trimmed all but four and covered with mulch, we will see how this year goes. If it's anything like last year it will be massive again.

Back