Kegging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vismich

Reaction score
I just bought a kegging set up and will be doing it for the first time this week.

Two questions.

1. The directions say to turn the co2 on to push the oxygen out before I rack the beer. Doesn't the oxygen just get back in when I rack?

2. After I carbonate the beer, do I leave the tank on, or do you turn it off?

1. Afte you put the beer into the keg apply c02 to push the o2 out of the keg. You have to bleed the keg off a few times to push all the o2 out.

2. I leave mine connected to carbonate the beer. Some peole connect it to the "out" side of the keg and some people connect it to the "in" side. I connected mine to the "out" for about 5 days at 30psi.

I serve at 12 psi

You purge it by turning the tank on and pulling the pressure release tab. The co2 pressure is greater so it will push out the oxygen.

As for your serving pressure do a search in here and for co2 chart.

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

After you keg the beer, there will be O2 in the keg. Pressurize with CO2 and bleed your keg a couple of times to replace the stagnant O2 with CO2.

Once you get your keg carbonated, you can turn off your CO2. After you drink a few beers you may need to turn it back on to pressurize your keg some more, depending on your flow rate. Once carbonated, your CO2 is used for dispensing only.

I always hook up the C02 to the "in" side before racking beer to the keg. Allow the C02 to flow into the keg, not much is needed, just enough to put a good layer of C02 in the bottom, then release the pressue and remove the cap. The C02 will remain in the bottom as it is heavier than air, this way when you rack to your keg, your racking under the C02 layer so that 02 can't contact your beer. As the beer rises, it pushes the C02 up while also keeping the 02 off of it. After you finish racking, then cap the keg and purge under pressure a few times to remove what 02 may be left in the headspace and your good to go.

I always hook up the C02 to the "in" side before racking beer to the keg. Allow the C02 to flow into the keg, not much is needed, just enough to put a good layer of C02 in the bottom, then release the pressue and remove the cap. The C02 will remain in the bottom as it is heavier than air, this way when you rack to your keg, your racking under the C02 layer so that 02 can't contact your beer. As the beer rises, it pushes the C02 up while also keeping the 02 off of it. After you finish racking, then cap the keg and purge under pressure a few times to remove what 02 may be left in the headspace and your good to go.

Makes perfect sence. Never really thought about it that way. My new routine now. Thank you

Hope it works for you. This has been my routine for quite awhile, along with very careful racking techniques and I have never noticed any signs of oxidation, even on some beers that were stored in kegs up to a year.

I do something similar but I put CO2 in it in order to push out my sanitizer. I'm sanitizing my keg anyways so why not sanitize my beer line! So I hook up the CO2 and run the sanitizer through the line. Then everything is sanitized and it's all ready with CO2 in it when I'm ready to rack.

Back