Now that's fermentation baby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevea1210

Reaction score
I brewed my second batch yesterday, Brewers best Calif imperial pale ale. I expected a healthy fermentation because of all the fermentables in it. I aerated the hell out of the wort, rehydrated the yeast, and let it go.

At three hours post pitch, I could already see krausen starting to form. At 6 hours I had a good 1/4 inch of krausen.

I got up this morning, and checked the brew closet. My airlock was filled with Krausen, and it was leaking all over the place. This was only 15 hours after pitch! I hastily sanitized a new stopper, and some hose, and made a quick blow off tube. The sounds of the gurgles made me smile all day. :)

I don't have a dedicated full size blow off tube, but my next order is going to include one for sure.

That's fast! Don't ya just love fermentation? I had a similar experience yesterday with an AG ordinary bitter I brewed and used WLP023 with a good sized starter. I had bubbles in my blow-off tube in 1.5 hours! That's a record for me.:mug:

Pitching on yeast cakes or large starters can get you these results just about every time. Its kinds nice seeing the blurp blurp blurp of fermentaion only hours after brewing:)

Latest posts

Back