7 stitches later...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdk261

Reaction score
Bottling sucks sometimes. I was using a lever style capper and an old bottle I probably used about 5 times...well when I pulled down the glass shattered and punctured the webbing between my thumb and index finger. It sucks.

image-3938559734.jpg

If it was hot out, and you cried, you could tell people you put your blood, sweat, AND tears into it.

Then give them a big ol' wink when they take their first sip of your brew. :D

Nobody yet...think it's still good to go? Lol I was only like 8 bottles in. Not home yet though.

I also have 12 ounces of sticky stout all over the counter and floor to deal with...can't wait haha

That's the worst part...I DO have a kegging set up. But recently got it and only have 1 kegged and its occupied.

Wing capper or bench capper? My new bench capper seems to put more force on the bottles than the old wing capper.

Sorry you got cut, and hope it's better soon. But did you finish bottling? :D

no pic of the actual cut... I thought we had a rule, that if there is no pic, it didnt happen. :) jk... that sucks...

yikes sorry to here, glad my bottling day didn't go that bad today, only thing that happen is my bottling wand fell apart in a bottle

Just got home, here is the crime scene...think it's ok to bottle the rest? It's just been suiting in the bucket...

image-3400155272.jpg

Y'know . . . blood has a lot of protein in it, maybe you add it to the beer and the yeast does some interesting stuff - fun experiment, eh?

Haha, nice blood on the floor! When you're sharing the beers with your buddies, wait until they take a few sips then tell them you must have bottled a 12 packs worth before you realized you were cut and wonder if you bled in any of them. Then watch as they casually set the beers down.

iambeer said:
Sorry for your accidental injury.

This reminds me of the broken glass crabboys threads. I guess it's time to buy PET bottles instead of glass ones.

Crabboys scare the hell out of me.

wow...

I am sorry to hear about your stitches. Do my eyes deceive me or was that a 22oz bomber that went? If those are 12oz bottles, may I inquire as to what brand the bottle was? I have noticed thin spots on bottles before so curiosity has the better of me...

Also were you using old soda pop bottle caps? I have noticed that they are EXTRA hard to get to cap. I have an antique capper and some of those old caps I thought the bottle was going to give but none ever did, needless to say it scared me so much I never used the rest!

Damn that sucks. Get well soon.

I cut both my thumbs once trying to fit some caps on test tubes. I'm a programmer and couldn't type with my thumbs bandaged for a good two weeks.

Zamial said:
wow...

I am sorry to hear about your stitches. Do my eyes deceive me or was that a 22oz bomber that went? If those are 12oz bottles, may I inquire as to what brand the bottle was? I have noticed thin spots on bottles before so curiosity has the better of me...

Also were you using old soda pop bottle caps? I have noticed that they are EXTRA hard to get to cap. I have an antique capper and some of those old caps I thought the bottle was going to give but none ever did, needless to say it scared me so much I never used the rest!

It was a 12oz dogfish head bottle with recently bought caps from my LHBS. I was using a bench style capper.

For the record, I finished bottling when I got home from the hospital lol.

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone...I'm going to see how long I can milk this with swmbo

Sorry that you managed to get injured, good that you finished the bottling though. I had a bottle shatter using a bench capper a number of years ago but was fortunate that it didn't cut me. I then decided to put the capper into an aluminum pan and make a rule to never hold the bottle while capping it. I've since had a couple of them shatter but the cleanup was easy.

Slightly :off:, here's a photo of the capper that came from the first home brew store that I dealt with in the 1970's.
capper.jpg

Also required was a mallet or dead blow hammer. Needless to say, I only used it one time before upgrading. Surprisingly, I didn't break any bottles and they all had carbonation.

Hope your beer is OK even with the delay in bottling.

Man, I can't imagine smacking with a hammer.

I was using an old school Big Ben that my great grandfather (a former homebrewer from waayy back in the day-1930's) handed down to me.

image-2407001132.jpg

Also required was a mallet or dead blow hammer. Needless to say, I only used it one time before upgrading. Surprisingly, I didn't break any bottles and they all had carbonation.

Now that looks like a terrible device for bottling. Mallets and glass bottles? No thank you.

Ahh sorry to hear about the stitches. Well, at least you finished bottling :mug: For some reason I always get nervous at that part in the process, always feel like something bad is going to happen. But no worries, just sit back now and have a homebrew

Back