The inevitable Grossman thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In view of what should obviously be the end of Rex Grossman's NFL career on this Weds, I thought it might be fun to look back at the following:

First the Lubby Smith vote of confidence:
"Will Rex Grossman start Sunday? Well, our evaluation process is going on right now," Smith said. "If you come out to practice Wednesday, you'll have a better idea of who will be starting at all positions."

Pumbaa said:
2086-packed01.jpg

'Nuff Said :rockin:
Good Prediction!

Cheesefood said:
{clearing throat}
http://www.nfl.com/standings
Nuff said.

New standings this year.

Cheesefood said:
Grossman needs to stay QB. We know he can be REALLY good, they just need to work on consistency. Very few QB's have great rookie years, and even less make it to the Superbowl in their first full year.

Time's up!

todd_k said:
Wow, you can stop drinking the Kool-Aid any time now. It's over. The past 5 years don't mean crap. The past 5 years certainly didn't help them last Sunday!

You have a point on some of these guys but not all. Just based on potential and/or age I would take most of these young guys over your boy.
Mark Brunell -agree
Rex Gossman -disagree
Marc Bulger -disagree
Byron Leftwich -disagree
Steve McNair -disagree
Daunte Culpepper -disagree
Michael Vick -disagree
Alex Smith -agree
Chris Simms -disagree
Jon Kitna -agree
Jake Plummer -disagree
Chad Pennington -disagree
J.P. Losman -agree
Charlie Frye -agree
David Carr -disagree
Billy Volek -agree
Aaron Brooks -agree
Drew Bledsoe -disagree
Brad Johnson -disagree
Kurt Warner -disagree

I'd also take Cutler.

Everyone gets old and loses it, Father Time is undefeated.

Dude said:
Care to revisit this list?

Still thinking you'd take Grossman, Leftwich, Culpepper, Simms, Plummer, Carr, Bledsoe, Johnson, and Warner over Favre today?

That was delusional back then and it is completely ridiculous now. 1 guy has thrown 14 INTs in his last 7 games, 2 of those weren't necessarily lighting up the league before they got hurt, and 4 of them got benched for bad play, and whats worse is all of those players are on teams with a better talent nucleus than GB.

Just curious what the spin will be this time.

loves stirring pot*

Pot re-stirred!

Well, the good news about Grossman is that he's consistent now. The bad news, he's consistently terrible. Just doesn't seem to be a terribly smart QB.

I ain't getting into the Favre argument again!

I actually searched this morning here for Grossman. Not really to hammer on 'da bear fans but to see what they're thinking now of him and if the topic was already out here. He has lost all confidence.

I'm a Bear fan. It's easy to blame Grossman for the Bear's problems, but there is really much more to it. No, Grossman hasn't been great, but his receivers aren't hanging onto easy receptions and he got poor protection last week. Couple that with a completely ineffective running game and a defense that's already had a fair share of injuries and you have this season's poor start.

rdwj said:
I'm a Bear fan. It's easy to blame Grossman for the Bear's problems, but there is really much more to it. No, Grossman hasn't been great, but his receivers aren't hanging onto easy receptions and he got poor protection last week. Couple that with a completely ineffective running game and a defense that's already had a fair share of injuries and you have this season's poor start.

I know you've seen him a lot more than I have, but I've seen him toss a lot of DUMB interceptions. You know, the kind I like to rag on Favre about, throwing the ball up for grabs, floaters into triple coverage, but at least Favre makes a positive play or two (a lot more recently). Grossman's just not doing any of the good stuff to offset his f*ckups.

Thing is, when you're hoping for Brian Griese to be your savior.....

todd_k said:
You have a point on some of these guys but not all. Just based on potential and/or age I would take most of these young guys over your boy.
Mark Brunell -agree
Rex Gossman -disagree
Marc Bulger -disagree
Byron Leftwich -disagree
Steve McNair -disagree
Daunte Culpepper -disagree
Michael Vick -disagree
Alex Smith -agree
Chris Simms -disagree
Jon Kitna -agree
Jake Plummer -disagree
Chad Pennington -disagree
J.P. Losman -agree
Charlie Frye -agree
David Carr -disagree
Billy Volek -agree
Aaron Brooks -agree
Drew Bledsoe -disagree
Brad Johnson -disagree
Kurt Warner -disagree

I'd also take Cutler.

Not to rag on Todd....but damn that list makes me laugh every time.

rdwj said:

I know you weren't one of the haters that riled me up last year--but it just goes to show what Packer fans have endured for years. Favre hasn't had a duo of serious weapon recievers in his entire career--has endured drops, injuries, etc., and still makes average WRs look decent. He never had the weapons Elway or Marino had and still has the records and the wins to back it up.

Of course, the haters just can't see that. Maybe you can relate now.

Grossman is seeing the reality of the NFL--and I honestly feel sorry for him. He has an immense amount of pressure on him--and it is unfair, it really is. The Bears have been media darlings because of that defense and while all of that was going on, everyone is suddenly realizing that Ced Benson and Berrian and the other guys aren't all that. Plus he has the most over-rated play caller in the league. Turner = Shoop all over again.

Dude said:
... Turner = Shoop all over again.
There is your real culprit in all this. Sucked at U of I, now sucking at a bigger salary with the Bears.

I tried to stick with Rex, but this season, and last Sunday night in particular, has proved he just isn't a leader. Not yet. Maybe in the future and probably with another NFL team. And now the team is so banged up that they'll be lucky to get to .500 this season. And son-of-a-Greasy is no savior either. That's why he's pinballed all over the NFL.

I'm secretly hoping that they put Griese in, he get's injured, they put Rex in and he gets injured, then they have to turn to Kyle Orton. Bear fans have to face it - Orton is the best consistent QB the Bears have had in a few seasons!

The rumor of McNabb is interesting. I personally wouldn't like that if it happened ;).

I think you ought to keep giving Rex another 6-7 years. Ya never know he might catch on eventually.

Cheesefood said:
Question: Will Rex's reputation ever be as stellar as another Bears QB to wear #8?

LOL - just goes to show (bird) that if you have a decent QB keep riding them until their arm falls off. Ditka will represent when they're retired and crippled. Where is that list of QB's you guys have had since Jim Mc left town. That is a string of **** right there. Not rubbing it in, just sayin...

DesertBrew said:
LOL - just goes to show (bird) that if you have a decent QB keep riding them until their arm falls off. Ditka will represent when they're retired and crippled. Where is that list of QB's you guys have had since Jim Mc left town. That is a string of **** right there. Not rubbing it in, just sayin...

To be completely honest, in their long, storied history, the Bears have NEVER had a good quarterback.

Cut Grossman now. I don't care who they put in his place. It could be a damn back for all I care.

mr x said:
If Lovie Smith values his job, he better make the move before it's too late.

He just signed a HUGE extension - don't think it matters too much what he does

I think he'll wind up like the guy in Atlanta if he leaves Grossman in and he continues to stink. Coaches always seem to take the fall. Just ask Marty...

It makes me sad that Grossman probably won't get the start this weekend against my Lions. With all of the defensive starers that the Bears have out this week, Grossman under center and the game being at Ford Field, that's like spotting the Lions 21 points.

I'm afraid that the Lions defense will somehow let Griese resurrect his career, just like they let McNabb bring the Eagles back to life last week after their 0-2 start.

ohiobrewtus said:
It makes me sad that Grossman probably won't get the start this weekend against my Lions. With all of the defensive starers that the Bears have out this week, Grossman under center and the game being at Ford Field, that's like spotting the Lions 21 points.

I'm afraid that the Lions defense will somehow let Griese resurrect his career, just like they let McNabb bring the Eagles back to life last week after their 0-2 start.

I'm still picking the Lions--the bears are BEAT up right now. IIRC, the entire starting secondary is hurt. That = a good day for the pass happy Lions.

This game will be a blow-out in the Lions favor. Mark it down.

I hope you're right. I expected them to do a hell of a lot better last week against the Eagles. With Lito Sheppard and Troy Vincent out I thought the lions would win a shootout in that one. Little did I know that the defense was taking a vacation day that day.

IIRC, Grossman's contract is up at the end of this season. I expect he won't be in a Bear uniform next year. He'll be a backup somewhere, maybe.

Yeah, this Lions/Bears game is a real "who cares". Two sucky teams that nobody cares about anymore. The Bears are beat up and Bob's kid hasn't taken a snap in a game other than neal-downs and mop-up work in two years, so I expect him to be mediocre at best. Still, I expect the Bears to beat the Lions by a small margin b/c the Lions are just awful, period. The only thing that can save the Lions is a fiery airplane crash.

Dude said:
I'm still picking the Lions--the bears are BEAT up right now. IIRC, the entire starting secondary is hurt. That = a good day for the pass happy Lions.

This game will be a blow-out in the Lions favor. Mark it down.

You calling lead-pipe lock for Survival?

I'm almost considering it. Bad D, new QB. Rusty QB. QB who hasn't taken a hit in a LONG time. With the Bears crappy O line, I think that Griese will be fantastic until the first of the 4-5 sacks. Another star game by Dewayne White could really tear apart these second-string Bears.

Rhoobarb said:
IIRC, Grossman's contract is up at the end of this season. I expect he won't be in a Bear uniform next year. He'll be a backup somewhere, maybe.

Yeah, this Lions/Bears game is a real "who cares". Two sucky teams that nobody cares about anymore. The Bears are beat up and Bob's kid hasn't taken a snap in a game other than neal-downs and mop-up work in two years, so I expect him to be mediocre at best. Still, I expect the Bears to beat the Lions by a small margin b/c the Lions are just awful, period. The only thing that can save the Lions is a fiery airplane crash.

Damn, that's harsh!

The Lions certainly aren't going to be making a trip to the NFC championship soon, but they're a much better team than they have been the last few years. #1 passing game in the league. The bears might have too many starters out to be able to stop the Lions offense.

The Lions defense, however, is another story. I expect a Lions win, but I'm not predicting a score.

Cheesefood said:
You calling lead-pipe lock for Survival?

I'm almost considering it. Bad D, new QB. Rusty QB. QB who hasn't taken a hit in a LONG time. With the Bears crappy O line, I think that Griese will be fantastic until the first of the 4-5 sacks. Another star game by Dewayne White could really tear apart these second-string Bears.

I haven't looked at the other match-ups yet--but I'd consider it for sure.

You know, I wouldn't count out Griese. He's not the long-term answer, and I expect that he'll be back to sucking by the end of the season - but he's show decent passing abilities in the past. Even in Tampa Bay in 2004, he completed nearly 70% of his passes, had 20 TDs and only 12 picks, QB rating of almosy 100 in eleven games. My impression over the years is that he's been run out of town mostly because he's an *******, not because he can't play. The assholeitude usually manifests itself over time, so I wouldn't be shocked to see him come out and put together a string of really good games.

In fact, I would be pretty surprised if Detroit pulled this off - and the Lions are still considered 3 point underdogs.

Anyone want to place a little side wager here? No points, straight-up.

the_bird said:

I think we can win this one, plus I have homebrew collecting dust, so yeah I'll take that wager.

the_bird said:
My impression over the years is that he's been run out of town mostly because he's an *******, not because he can't play. The assholeitude usually manifests itself over time, so I wouldn't be shocked to see him come out and put together a string of really good games.

In fact, I would be pretty surprised if Detroit pulled this off - and the Lions are still considered 3 point underdogs.

RUFC?? Do you remember Griese missing games because he fell on his face drunk and broke his nose? How about the time his dog tackled him? That one kills me the most. Who on earth is more gun shy about being snuck up on than a QB? Apart from a Navy Seal, I can't imagine too many people having a better 6th sense for who's about to approach them than someone regularly tackled by 350 pound monsters.

Not just an *******, an alcoholic and a baby.

Still, I don't know if I can call Detroit my lead-pipe lock.

Cheesefood said:
RUFC?? Do you remember Griese missing games because he fell on his face drunk and broke his nose? How about the time his dog tackled him? That one kills me the most. Who on earth is more gun shy about being snuck up on than a QB? Apart from a Navy Seal, I can't imagine too many people having a better 6th sense for who's about to approach them than someone regularly tackled by 350 pound monsters.

Not just an *******, an alcoholic and a baby.

Still, I don't know if I can call Detroit my lead-pipe lock.

I remember that distinctly. I remember virtually every member of the Broncos hating him. Whether he's a drunk or an ******* doesn't mean that he can't play - look at the numbers he put up during some of his full seasons. I'm not thinking Griese's the long-term answer for the Bears, but after all the problems that Grossman has had, I think the team's going to be relieved just to have someone else back in the pocket, even if he is a *******, alcholic baby. At least, for a few weeks.

the_bird said:
... Whether he's a drunk or an ******* doesn't mean that he can't play...
Hell, yeah! Drunks - look at Tommy Kramer of the Vikings (anyone remember him). He'd be sober one week, then drunk the next!:D I won a lot of money betting on the Vikes in college, b/c you could pretty much bet with the spread one week and against it the next week.

I just never knew which Kramer was the one that had his sh*t together on the Sundays they won. Was it 'drunk Tommy' or 'sober Tommy'?

A**hole QBs that can win - how about the Bill's Jim Kelly? Trust me - biggest rod you'd ever meet in person.

Back