english pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musclebrew

Reaction score
I"am about ready to brew a midwest english pale ale,I have seen guys cold ferment this beer,Is it really nessasary to do this for an english ale,Will it taste any better?

You'll want to have it ferment within the temperature range of the yeast. IME, going on the lower half of that range will [very often] give you a better brew in glass. Remember, in England, fermenting in the 55-65F range is pretty common. Fermenting too warm/hot can produce off flavors that will make the batch less than it could have been. What yeast did the kit come with??

You'll want to have it ferment within the temperature range of the yeast. IME, going on the lower half of that range will [very often] give you a better brew in glass. Remember, in England, fermenting in the 55-65F range is pretty common. Fermenting too warm/hot can produce off flavors that will make the batch less than it could have been. What yeast did the kit come with??

Good advice...

Also the lower temperature tends to control the krausen formation, keeping it from causing blow outs. I use Nottingham and when it gets to the higher temps it can get volcanic.

bosco

Latest posts

Back