First Time Dry Hopper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snazo

Reaction score
Simple question. Made a pale ale. Primary for 3 weeks, secondary and dry hop for 7-10 days sound good? Using 1oz of simcoe pellet.

Thanks a bunch.

Sounds good to me. I usually dry hop with 2-5 oz for 1 week, but you'll find a lot of different opinions on times & quantities.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

7-10 is pretty common. It is all dependent on your hops and temperature of the beer, so really the best way to know for sure it taste it every other day or so until it seems like it is not changing.

I put my own recipe together this time,& was planning on dry hopping for maybe 5 days with 1oz of Willamette hops. I did a 1oz Kent Golding hop addition the last 15 mins of the boil as well,after reading somewhere that 2oz of total hops additions is plenty for a 5 gallon batch. Even though mine is 23L,or about 6.072 gallons. & the LME was hopped with pride of ringwood hops. Albeit on the light side.

I put my own recipe together this time,& was planning on dry hopping for maybe 5 days with 1oz of Willamette hops. I did a 1oz Kent Golding hop addition the last 15 mins of the boil as well,after reading somewhere that 2oz of total hops additions is plenty for a 5 gallon batch. Even though mine is 23L,or about 6.072 gallons. & the LME was hopped with pride of ringwood hops. Albeit on the light side.
i did my own recipe as well, my hop schedule.

60 mins 0.5oz Simcoe pellet
60 mins 0.5oz Cascade pellet
30 mins 0.5oz Cascade pellet
15 mins 0.25oz Simcoe pellet
5 mins 0.25oz Simcoe pellet
dry hop 7 days 1.0oz Simcoe

Looks like,from the list,it's gunna be like a bitter,or IPA. Longer hop additions make for more bitterness. Shorter times for flavor/aroma as I currently understand it. I'm curious as to what style you're making?:mug:

Back