Sugars for bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is the best sugar to use for priming?

I usually use glucose drops but is using corn sugar or table sugar more beneficial? or just keep using the glucose?

Corn sugar will change the flavor profile the least.
But if you are doing a special brew, then you may want to use something that goes along with that. For example, I have bottle conditioning a chocolate maple porter that I used maple syrup to prime.

You can prime a beer with ANY fermentable. I give detailed info on priming with alternative primers including fruit juice (including a link to a podcast on that subject,) maple syrup, honey, and other sugars in my bottling stickey- Scroll to the lower half of this post.

If it's fermentable, you can prime with it.

I stick to table sugar simple because it's cheap and already on my kitchen counter.

If my recipes are high in simple sugars, I like to prime with Extra Light or Light DME.

If my recipes are low in simple sugars, I like to prime with Corn or Table Sugar.

Back