Boulevard Pale Ale Clone anyone??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EuBrew

Reaction score
I posted this with some other info in the AG forum, but this is probably where it belongs. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

I'd like to do a Clone of my beloved Boulevard Pale since I can't get it out here in Ohio, but haven't seen any recipe's out there. In a perfect world I'd rather do the Boulevard Single Wide IPA but I'd better steer clear and save some cash should things go bad wrong! Here's a listing off Boulevard's website, can anyone help me craft a recipe from this?? I've been playing with the numbers in Beersmith but playing is the operative word. Pretty sure I'm restriced to crystal 80l etc. malts and not the ones listed on the website (Caramunich & Caravienne malts) because of the grains avaiable at my LHBS.

STYLE: American-style Pale Ale

INGREDIENTS: Pale, Caramunich & Caravienne malts. Magnum, Cascade, Simcoe & Fruggles hops.

STARTING GRAVITY: 12.2 degrees Plato

ALCOHOL: 4.2% by weight, 5.4% by volume

BITTERNESS UNITS: 31 IBUs

AVERAGE EBC COLOR: 20

I may be naive but I make up for that with inexperience!!:rockin:

Awesome! Too bad they don't list the ingredients. I've never ordered from them as I just completed my first all grain (or anyother brew) yesterday. I am anxiously waiting for the fermentation to get started up. I lived in KC for about 7 years after college at NWMSU and they don't distribute out here in Ohio! Thanks for the info!!

I've heard a few different interviews with the brewmaster there and he always claims that if you email him he'll just give you the recipes.
Just a thought.

Anyone have any ideas on this? I'd like to brew this weekend, but I waited too long to get my grains in from AHS. Anyone brewed their recipe that wouldn't mind sharing?

I think gentiles might have the caravienna and Nina has the Caramunich. Never had the beer, so I'm not sure how hoppy it is. Lot of hop flavor and aroma? If so I'd use the magnum to get it near the 30 ibu mark at a 60 min addition and the cascade for some flavor and simcoe for flavor and aroma. the fuggles dont seem to fit, but as I said, never had the beer. This gets it to a 1.047 og and 7.9 srm (close to the 20 ebc)
A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.20
Anticipated OG: 1.047 Plato: 11.61
Anticipated SRM: 7.9
Anticipated IBU: 0.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
5.9 0.60 lbs. CaraMunich 40 France 1.034 40
5.9 0.60 lbs. CaraVienne Malt Belgium 1.034 22
88.2 9.00 lbs. Pale Ale Malt (Briess) USA 1.037 4

I think gentiles might have the caravienna and Nina has the Caramunich. Never had the beer, so I'm not sure how hoppy it is. Lot of hop flavor and aroma? If so I'd use the magnum to get it near the 30 ibu mark at a 60 min addition and the cascade for some flavor and simcoe for flavor and aroma. the fuggles dont seem to fit, but as I said, never had the beer. This gets it to a 1.047 og and 7.9 srm (close to the 20 ebc)
A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.20
Anticipated OG: 1.047 Plato: 11.61
Anticipated SRM: 7.9
Anticipated IBU: 0.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
5.9 0.60 lbs. CaraMunich 40 France 1.034 40
5.9 0.60 lbs. CaraVienne Malt Belgium 1.034 22
88.2 9.00 lbs. Pale Ale Malt (Briess) USA 1.037 4

thanks for the work Ender! I decided not to brew this weekend since I can't get the kit. I refuse to buy from Nina and the crush I got from Gentiles mill was less than ideal so I'll wait until next weekend when I can get the all grain kit from AHS. I had one of the real deal last night and I don't get a ton of bitterness out of it but there is quite a bit of aroma. Are you going to the Microbrew Fest at North Market next weekend?

I know all about the crush at gentiles. had to run it thru a few times before I got my own mill. If you get the grain you can use my mill if you need it. I'm near riverside hospital and always willing to share a beer. I wont be back in town until wed night some time. Not sure about the fest, we have tickets to the game, although we might go on friday.

Back