Deschutes Hop in the Dark

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one last night,

I would have to agree, it is much like a "light" barleywine. lots of malty goodness, and a solid spine of hops to help balance this brew out.

Deschutes sent me a clone sheet for Hop in the Dark. Not too informative, but does help. A pretty complex recipe that I doubt will get cloned exactly.

Specifics:
Recipe type: All grain
Batch size: 5 U.S. gallons
Original gravity: 1.067
Final gravity: 1.015-1.018
Boil time: 90 minutes
Fermentation temp: 65° F
Yeast type: English Ale

Malt:
Pale Malt
Flaked Oats
Munich Malt
Dark Crystal Malt
Chocolate Malt
Chocolate Wheat Malt
Black Barley
Toasted Oats
Dark Candy Sugar

Hops:
Northern Brewer
Nugget
Centennial
Amarillo
Cascade
Citra

**Note**
Temps, times and weights are the challenge. Happy Brewing!

Deschutes sent me a clone sheet for Hop in the Dark. Not too informative, but does help. A pretty complex recipe that I doubt will get cloned exactly.

Specifics:
Recipe type: All grain
Batch size: 5 U.S. gallons
Original gravity: 1.067
Final gravity: 1.015-1.018
Boil time: 90 minutes
Fermentation temp: 65° F
Yeast type: English Ale

Malt:
Pale Malt
Flaked Oats
Munich Malt
Dark Crystal Malt
Chocolate Malt
Chocolate Wheat Malt
Black Barley
Toasted Oats
Dark Candy Sugar

Hops:
Northern Brewer
Nugget
Centennial
Amarillo
Cascade
Citra

**Note**
Temps, times and weights are the challenge. Happy Brewing!

Doesnt look to be much of a challenge.

Yeast S-04

Malt:
Pale Malt 65%
Flaked Oats 7.5%
Munich Malt 7.5%
Dark Crystal Malt 5%
Chocolate Malt 5%
Chocolate Wheat Malt 2.5%
Black Barley 2.5%
Toasted Oats 2.5%
Dark Candy Sugar 2.5%

Hops:
Northern Brewer 90 min
Nugget 60 min
Centennial 30 min
Amarillo 15 min
Cascade flame out
Citra dry hop

I would read the bottle to see if they list IBU's

Bevmo! in Sunnyvale had this and... it's good.

cross between a IPA and a barleywine. Weird... but good.
It's like a milk stout and an barleywine met behind a dumpster and made a CDA.

Not a bad thing, IMHO.

That's quite disrespectful to Deschutes. Since they took the time to put Cascadian Dark Ale on the label and do indeed wish it to be called just that.

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brews/bond-street-series/hop-in-the-dark/default.aspx

From that page:

"Can an IPA be black? Semantics aside, this noir version adds deep roasted malts to alter the hue and slightly smooth the edges. What emerges is something deeper, less orthodox, and all its own."

Of course, they probably have a better sense of humor than you do.

Exactly. An IPA can not be black. Also from the same write up...

Take the plunge – a hop, if you will – into this new Cascadian Dark Ale. Many may never even try to swim for shore.

And my sense of humor is just fine. Oh mighty San Diegoan.

Oh my Gosh, they referred to it as a black IPA and that other thing, too! Crazy that people would be understanding that there's more than one name for a beer.

Besides, Hop in the Dark is just an American Brown. Big deal. Great beer, though.

Very nice. Cold steeping makes sense. I put together a recipe for a beer that's similar to Hop in the Dark, but with some changes I like (Like using Carafa Special, CTZ and Simcoe). I already got the grains and they're blended together, so I can't cold steep the dark grains. Going to brew it on Tuesday. I'll post the recipe in a bit.

but what a bastard child they produced ! :rockin:

Oh, I wasn't at all meaning that as a dig, in case you thought it was. I was very disappointed when I reached the end of the glass.

But it does give a clue on cloning it. I'd had a black butte first and then had this one and they were VERY similar in the malt characteristics. If not for the difference in ABV, I'd have guessed that they simply took black butte and change the hop schedule.

Very nice. Cold steeping makes sense. I put together a recipe for a beer that's similar to Hop in the Dark, but with some changes I like (Like using Carafa Special, CTZ and Simcoe). I already got the grains and they're blended together, so I can't cold steep the dark grains. Going to brew it on Tuesday. I'll post the recipe in a bit.

Just had my first taste of this beer, sooo good. Did you ever brew it? If, so how did it turn out?

Just had my first taste of this beer, sooo good. Did you ever brew it? If, so how did it turn out?

Yeah, I brewed it up. It's fermenting now. Here's the recipe:

cdarecipe3.jpg

This beer makes me proud to be a past and future Cascadian. It was so good I went back a bought a few more.

Bottle I am drinking right now has it listed at 70 IBU's, as opposed to 75 on the website. Bottle also has a "best after" date, which I have never seen before.

Any news on that clone attempt? Just at a glance I thought the 20 minute addition of Simcoe might go against the notion of a less piney flavor, but that opinion is for the most part based on my experience with an single hop ipa made with simcoe...super piney...not sure which addition timings in the boil that will typically come from, but I figured a 20 minute addition might make this a pine bomb.

I tasted a sample of this beer a year ago at the Bend Brewery before a tour, and I have never pondered a single taste more seriously. naturally, I bought a bottle, which I drank a month later, remembering such immaculate balance of roast, chocolate and hops.

It was the first of the style I would taste, and for the past year I have tried and failed to find another that even compares. I am currently on vacation in Eugene Oregon, and as of last night can confirm that this one tops the rest, at least those available in the midwest. Good job Deschutes. 22 trials really paid off.

Any news on that clone attempt? Just at a glance I thought the 20 minute addition of Simcoe might go against the notion of a less piney flavor, but that opinion is for the most part based on my experience with an single hop ipa made with simcoe...super piney...not sure which addition timings in the boil that will typically come from, but I figured a 20 minute addition might make this a pine bomb.

It was pretty much exactly right. The Citra I used to dry hop had been opened and repackaged a few times. Added a bit of a funk to the batch that lessened over time. I've had this same problem when I tried to save leftover hops in the past. I wouldn't change anything if I brewed it again.

Doesnt look to be much of a challenge.

Yeast S-04

Malt:
Pale Malt 65%
Flaked Oats 7.5%
Munich Malt 7.5%
Dark Crystal Malt 5%
Chocolate Malt 5%
Chocolate Wheat Malt 2.5%
Black Barley 2.5%
Toasted Oats 2.5%
Dark Candy Sugar 2.5%

Hops:
Northern Brewer 90 min
Nugget 60 min
Centennial 30 min
Amarillo 15 min
Cascade flame out
Citra dry hop

I would read the bottle to see if they list IBU's

Could someone please help me convert this to an extract recipe?? I'm new to brew and only set up for extract. I have to do 3 gallon boil and top off with cooled boiled water to make 5 gallons. Advice on hop utilization at t his volume would be appreciated. No need exact clone, but in my opionion this is the perfect CDA/BIPA. Seeking similar balance of maltiness, roast, body with non-conflicting hop bitter and aroma.

Back