Fixing music/MP3 tags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For the audiophiles among us:

I've managed to amass quite a collection of music (over 100GB!), but it's HORRIBLY disorganized. Many of the files are tagged improperly, and that leads to an organizational nightmare.

I've been looking around the net for ID3 tag fixing software, and I've found a lot of shareware that claims to batch process files. However, I haven't found anything that really works. Does anyone know of any good automated tag fixing software?

Yuri_Rage said:
For the audiophiles among us:

I've managed to amass quite a collection of music (over 100GB!), but it's HORRIBLY disorganized. Many of the files are tagged improperly, and that leads to an organizational nightmare.

I've been looking around the net for ID3 tag fixing software, and I've found a lot of shareware that claims to batch process files. However, I haven't found anything that really works. Does anyone know of any good automated tag fixing software?

i use a program called xACT. it's available for mac or pc. It's way overkill for what you want (I do a lot of pro audio mastering work) but one of the features is batch rename. works like a charm. download it over at version tracker.com

Maybe I should've been more specific...I want something that will analyze the files and tag them based on file properties, not just a batch renaming program. I know these programs exist (including some that are pretty sophisticated in their analysis), but the ones I've downloaded seem like trash (MusicBrainz and two versions of mp3Tag).

krispy d said:
oh, in that case try:

http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm

I assume you need a pc program right?
Yup, running Windows XP (dammit...perhaps I'll switch to Linux one of these days...). Anyway, I just tried that one. It seems that Tag&Rename will only support FreeDB lookups for complete CDs (or folders that have all of the tracks from a complete CD in order). I really appreciate the help krispy...this is frustrating!

I got tons of this stuff. don't worry well get it. I'm leaving work and heading home so I won't respond for a couple of hours probably but I'm confident.

how bout winamp. I think this does a batch tag (it might just be a rename though I'm not sure). The problem here is that run a mac so I'm checking programs that I have for pc clones and only a few are available. If winamp can't do it try Mp3tag available at http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

I'll see about winamp - I've used it before in lieu of Windows Media Player and liked it for playback/playlists/etc. mp3Tag was one of the ones I was really disappointed in. It looks like it was coded by a 3 year old, and the lookup doesn't seem to function very well at all.

Thanks again for helping in my search!

One word... Tagscanner. It will batch generate tags based on filename, folder location, etc. You can also use it to edit tags manually, rename files and more. I have a similarly sized collection and it has been a life saver.

trinitone said:
One word... Tagscanner. It will batch generate tags based on filename, folder location, etc. You can also use it to edit tags manually, rename files and more. I have a similarly sized collection and it has been a life saver.
Could this be the answer to a thus far fruitless day of searching???!!!

trinitone said:
that one looks cool!

damn non mac software, I never search for it

Hmmm...it appears as if my search for an easy solution is coming to an end. Tagscanner appears to be the best batch renaming program around. Stamp looks to be similar. I'll certainly get some use out of one or both of those, and I REALLY appreciate the help with trying to get my files organized. I used to be so proud of the organization of my collection, but I let it get bloated and ridiculous. Now I'm paying the price!

My biggest problem is that I have a lot of files named things like "Track 01.mp3" in folders like "Unknown Artist." I was hoping to find a program that would decipher those files digitally rather than having to manually go through them. MusicBrainz makes some claims about using "audio fingerprints" to intelligently identify sound files, but in the end, it is a work in progress and largely incomplete. Nothing else comes close.

Yuri_Rage said:
Hmmm...it appears as if my search for an easy solution is coming to an end. Tagscanner appears to be the best batch renaming program around. Stamp looks to be similar. I'll certainly get some use out of one or both of those, and I REALLY appreciate the help with trying to get my files organized. I used to be so proud of the organization of my collection, but I let it get bloated and ridiculous. Now I'm paying the price!

My biggest problem is that I have a lot of files named things like "Track 01.mp3" in folders like "Unknown Artist." I was hoping to find a program that would decipher those files digitally rather than having to manually go through them. MusicBrainz makes some claims about using "audio fingerprints" to intelligently identify sound files, but in the end, it is a work in progress and largely incomplete. Nothing else comes close.

so you want a program that will change Track 01.mp3 to Frank Sinatra - New York, New York and also fill in album info?

I would have had the same problem had I not kept my clean and mistagged files separate. I'd download a bunch of files and keep it in the mistagged folder and occassionally fix the tags in a program called MP3 Library. Once cleaned, I'd move them to my main collection folder. You really have to clean as you go or it will be a monumental task as you're finding.

todd_k said:
so you want a program that will change Track 01.mp3 to Frank Sinatra - New York, New York and also fill in album info?
Yup. I want magic! Seriously, though...a friend mentioned that he downloaded a freeware program that did just this. He couldn't remember the name of the software. Dammit.

Yuri_Rage said:
Yup. I want magic! Seriously, though...a friend mentioned that he downloaded a freeware program that did just this. He couldn't remember the name of the software. Dammit.

That would have saved me about an hour of work.....hopefully your friend can remember! Everytime I reload my Itunes folder with my mp3's, they all reset, for some reason, the Itunes tag changes don't save. Let me know how those apps work out.

I don't know of any automatic ones but Music Match JukeBox has some pretty powerful tagging features.. It is all manual but you can select a bunch of songs and change the artist for all of them at the same time... then rename them all to "Artist - Song Title" or many other things all at once.. Only thing is you have to know the songs..

SpamDog

you tried using windows media player? It asks if you want to ID the tunes through the net. Is this big brother watching if you do it?

Back