Bottle Bombs Away!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sieglere

Reaction score
So I just drank beer number one of beer batch number 1! It was a green tea honey wheat and as a beer concept, I have high hopes for it and it has a lot of potential. As a beer, it was a bit sweet and unfinished tasting. This brings me to the subject line. Along with my first batch came my first bottle bombs. I'm pretty sure they were a result of me bottling before the fermentation was completely done (resulting in the bottle bombs and sweet taste). I was wondering if anyone had any experience bottling into the 1 L bottled water bottles (perier or something like that). I had one of those and i bottled my beer in it and that was one of the ones that exploded but I don't think that was due to the bottle so if anyone has successfully (or unsuccessfully) bottled in those, I'd appreciate your input

those bottles typically aren't rated for beer. you should really use bottles that are specifically designed to handle pressure, like old beer bottles or even soda bottles. also a hyrometer may be a good investment if you haven't got one already so you can tell when fermentation is done

Regular beer bottles also broke too so there is probably a combination of unfinished beer and bottles not being heavily over engineered (or in the case of the Perier bottle not being beer rated). As for a hydrometer, I'd like to think I've learned my lesson and won't be taking my beer out of the primary until I'm certain its done. Luckily it was in a Rubbermaid container so the mess was contained

Update: a 22 went off last night at two in the morning. It broke both a glass bottle of vodka (the cheapest stuff I could get so I can use a sterile pressure lock fluid) and the plastic rubbermaid it was in spraying my living room in shrapnel. As of now, every single bottle from that batch has been moved into a growler with a pressure lock on top. I'll drink it flat after this fiasco.

Proving once again tha tpatience is a virtue in brewing. Use a hydrometer & make sure it's had time to finish fermenting. Not to mention clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. You'll get better beer.

Back