Compare Faucets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the best way to do a Kegerator

• Paint

• No Paint

• Perlick is The ONLY option here's my reason: and where to get good prices

• This brand is the best to go with for starters ______

• Here's my kegerator, and how I did it

Results are only viewable after voting.

rcook73

Reaction score
OK ..I know that this has probably been discussed before.
I'm getting ready to build my kegerator (it's a full size, up right, freezer on top)

1. It paint a good Idea, or maybe wood casing? ..or just leave it alone?
2. I'm wanting a good faucet ..can I get some pros and CONS of the major brands
(I know ...Perlick is the best ..)but is there anything out there that is close ..I will not be using this thing like a bar downtown ..maybe a few poker nights .etc ..etc

any other suggestions ..shank size ..etc

Thank and Cheers:mug:

Got all my stuff from Keg Connection a couple years ago before prices got too out of control.

The quality of the perlicks is amazing, they are all stainless, and I have yet to have any type of issue with them at all, they also stick out a bit further than standard faucets, and I like that they are further away from the my tower.

Pay for quality now, and then you won't have to pay for replacements later.

As for your upright, customize it as you want. Paint it if you'd like, put stickers all over it, do what personalizes it for you.

I've got three perlicks and a standard faucet. I never have issues with the perlicks, but the standard faucet will stick if I don't use it for a few days. Sometimes I really have to pull on it to get it break loose. As soon as I can afford another perlick, it's getting the axe.

I've had two standard faucets for about a year now. Finally ordered a couple perlicks that haven't arrived yet. The standards do stick as reported, but you can unstick them pretty easy by pouring some water over the front of them to free up the shaft. If you pour a pint everyday it's less of an issue, but after a few days it sticks. If I had it to do over I would have upgraded to perlicks from the get go.

I've only had Perlick. I have zero complaints. Sometimes it goes a week or so before I pull a pint if I've been gone. No sticking.

The worst thing about my perlicks, I waited 3 years to get them (and broke 2 tap handles with the others). Yeah, the standard faucets don't stick as much if you pull off of them everyday. While I enjoy beer, I don't pull one everyday...

Love my Perlicks. I got the 425 SS ones from www.farmhousebrewsupply.com My main concern was the cleanliness of the Perlicks. I have seen many of the cheapo faucets break at the handle shank??? (Not really sure what that part of the faucet is called..) and they are not nearly as sanitary.

Paint??? I guess I am confused... do you want to paint the freezer? I would NOT recommend that as it will look like **** in a short period of time. I would search for "Keezer coffin" and go that route...

Paint??? I guess I am confused... do you want to paint the freezer? I would NOT recommend that as it will look like **** in a short period of time. I would search for "Keezer coffin" and go that route...

I disagree, a light sanding, and repainting with appliance epoxy paint can make it look brand new.

I disagree, a light sanding, and repainting with appliance epoxy paint can make it look brand new.

Good to know. I was envisioning me a can of "x" color paint and the freezer...lol...and that was not good. ;) There are also companies that make kits to dress up old appliances.

I just bought 2 perlicks chrome over brass for 20ish dollars each on black friday---keg connection---couldnt be happier. As stated by others no sticking so spend for quality now and no headaches later. I have had standard faucets for years and always fought with them sticking after a couple of days especially heavier ales.

Perlicks, the reasoning has been beat into the ground on these in the forums. As for personal experience? I have never used anything but them and I have never had a problem. I would go as far as to say they are perfect.

For painting. If you do a collar paint it or stain it then clear coat the hell out of it for durability. The body of the freezer would depend on if you got it new or used and in what condition it was in unless you are talking functional paint like chalk board paint.

For my build see this thread... Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build

I used countertop paint on mine. Holds up pretty good. Can be found at lowes or home depot. I forget which one had it also chalkboard paint on the front side so I cas write on it what's in the kegs inside. Chalkboard paint scraches easy though.

I had a couple of perlicks and a standard tap side-by-side for about a year and a half before I finally replaced the other tap. It stuck all the time, it was a pain in the butt to clean, and it didn't fit my handy Perlick tap bottling wand, which is so much more convenient and easy to use than a beer gun or counterpressure filler.

Love my Perlicks. I got the 425 SS ones from www.farmhousebrewsupply.com My main concern was the cleanliness of the Perlicks. I have seen many of the cheapo faucets break at the handle shank??? (Not really sure what that part of the faucet is called..) and they are not nearly as sanitary.

are you sure that's the right web site ..I've tried it and it isn't working ..

found it ..it's www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com

thanks

Back