Double IPA, my biggest beer yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtymike1

Reaction score
Wow it's been a long time since I've posted on this site, glad to see that it's only grown in the time that I've been away. Life (read: work) has kept me from brewing for almost a year now, but I'm in a new job, in a new place and have hammered out the biggest beer that I've made to date. I did a partial mash double IPA from Austin Home Brew and I hit it right on the head. Couldn't find my hydrometer but seat of the pants puts it at 10%+ but I'm thinking it's an honest 12%. Snuck a glass last night when I moved it from my primary to the secondary and it's awesome.

Now my question, how can I make this a lightly carded beer? I'm going to be bottling in a week (15 days prim, 7 days secondary) but I think this will be best with a lighter carbonation than normal. Before I just halved the amount of priming sugar, I wanted to make sure that would do the trick.

It's good to be back on here!

Cutting the sugar in half will certainly do the trick. I'm assuming standard amounts for a 5 gallon batch (4 oz. sucrose or 5 oz. dextrose) and cutting that in half?... It will definitely be lightly carbonated - maybe even too lightly.

Keep in mind also that with a double IPA (now that the yeasts are tuckered out), it may take longer than usual for the beer to reach its full carbonation level. Not to mention that if you are using the same strain you use to ferment, the particular strain you use may not have much capability beyond 10-12% ABV. You might consider repitching with another strain.

let me know when its ready and I will give you my unprofessional opinion and let you try one of my 90 minute clones :)

Sheldon

Sheldon, I was just going through my info on here and updating it. I just moved to Kentucky, but maybe we can work something out.

Grizzly, that's what I figured. I'll measure out the sugar and I figure if I use about 3/4 of it that I should get the level that I want. Since this is a sipping beer, I don't want the bite of the carbonation. I've already pitched yeast twice in this batch but it's pretty tired, I'll have to debate on another pitched this week I guess.

Back