Can I add orange peel to second fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crimsonwine

Reaction score
I have a 5 gal batch of Kolsch coming off primary fermentation and getting ready to rack to secondary...I kinda decided I would like to add a hint of orange to it....can I do it when I rack to secondary?

If so...how much?

I did not use any orange during the boil....

You would need to boil it first. Probably the zest of one or two large oranges would be plenty.

Another option would be to make an extract. Zest the orange peel, and soak the zest in a little vodka. You can add the extract to secondary or at bottling/kegging.

:mug:

You would need to boil it first. Probably the zest of one or two large oranges would be plenty.

Another option would be to make an extract. Zest the orange peel, and soak the zest in a little vodka. You can add the extract to secondary or at bottling/kegging.

we have a wheat (from kit) in the primary currently and the orange sounds pretty good to go in. so if i zest, as you said, 1 or 2 oranges and then soak in HOW MUCH vodka, i would just pour that in when we move to secondary?

we have a wheat (from kit) in the primary currently and the orange sounds pretty good to go in. so if i zest, as you said, 1 or 2 oranges and then soak in HOW MUCH vodka, i would just pour that in when we move to secondary?

A little vodka, to cover the zest.

You can do it, but with something like a kolsch I wouldn't. If you "orange" the whole batch and it's not great, you're stuck with 5 gallons of orange kolsch. I love kolsch, and appreciate it for what it is. I would never put fruit in it. How about just serving a slice of orange along side? (This comes from somebody that HATES fruit beer, so maybe I'm biased!)

Just enough vodka to cover the zest, an ounce or two. You can add the extract at secondary or bottling/kegging.

I filter the extract through a coffee filter when I add it at kegging. Don't want the zest bits to clog the dip tube.

My next brew will be a Belgian Pale Ale from Radical Brewing. I'm going to add the orange extract at kegging. Still need to find some "sour oranges" for that one.

Back