Bacon sandwiches cure a hangover???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wscott823

Reaction score
A friend of mine swears by this remedy for curing a hangover :drunk:. I've heard of hangover being caused by a deficiency of vitamin B complex, however what does bacon have to do with that? If any one has tried this or has any understanding of the science to prove or discredit it, please weigh in on the discussion.

I'm not the expert on that, but I know that I like greasy foods when I'm hungover. Maybe that has something to do with it

It's the salt. You sweat and pee out a lot of nutrients when drunk, so your body craves what it's missing.

Bacon cheeseburger and a large gatoraid will kill just about any hangover.

The gatoraid is for dehydration. 2/3 of a hangover is from being dehydrated.

b

If necessary, I will dedicate my life to science of greasy foods combating hangovers.

On second thought, that might have already happened...:drunk:

It's the salt. You sweat and pee out a lot of nutrients when drunk, so your body craves what it's missing.

Bacon cheeseburger and a large gatoraid will kill just about any hangover.

The gatoraid is for dehydration. 2/3 of a hangover is from being dehydrated.

b

+1.

Many large Gatorades, maybe.

I dig potassium pills for curative powers, too.;)

Ill tell you what the best preventative is....ICE CREAM. After you get drunk, eat a ton of icecream -- the fatty acids in the ice cream will create a wall of fat on your stomach lining not allowing your body to absorb any more alcohol. In the long run, it causes you to have less of a hangover, but you will probably have the ****s the next morning.

Ill tell you what the best preventative is....ICE CREAM. After you get drunk, eat a ton of icecream -- the fatty acids in the ice cream will create a wall of fat on your stomach lining not allowing your body to absorb any more alcohol. In the long run, it causes you to have less of a hangover, but you will probably have the ****s the next morning.

I wonder if bacon can cure that?

It seems that a well made BLT can fix anything.

Personally, I like to start with a coffee straight away, before my stomach wakes up - that wakes up my diggy tract, and, erm, purges it, like, and then a beautiful bacon sarnie or three makes me happy. Doesn't cure headaches, but sure as hell gets the gut sorted. The coffee has to be on waking though, otherwise I get the shakes.

Bacon is high in vitamin B which would help replenish the B vitamins you lost drinking. Bacon is also salty which would help replenish the various salts your body pissed away the night before. Also Bacon is greasy, and coats your stomach with grease to help to protect it.

If you're not sick to your stomach then bacon seems like a good choice.

Coffee can help with your throbing headache, but it can also dehydrate you more making the hangover worse, so make sure you're drinking plenty of water too.

All these things help reduce a hangover, but I've never had anything that actually cures it.

Aye, I normally find myself waking at about 3 or 4 in the morning desperate for water - have a half or so then back to sleep.

Erm, by normally, I mean... oh never mind :p

Damn, my wife just cut me off on bacon, first time in 12 years yesterday shopping and not getting any bacon. I can only have lean ham now with my B'fast.

She did give me the option of quitting drinking, or quit eating bacon, so trying to play the give and take game a little, I made the no brainer choice.

when aircraft rentals went thru the roof, she mentioned if I wasn't flying I could afford to buy a harley. She is the crafty one.

that ultimate bacon hangover cure looks pretty damn tasty!! 12 million calories, but whos counting!

I have tried bacon for a hangover cure but the following remedy has always worked for me. I take a ibuprofen 800 right before bed with a big glass of ice cold water and leave a cup right by the bed if i wake up with cotton mouth, then first thing in the morning i drink a big v-8. This simple procedure works every time for me. :ban:......with the only exception being if i am really stupid the night before and mix my alcohols which sends me praying to the porcelain god during the night. :cross:....in those cases...i have yet to find anything that works and i've tried everything.

I tell ya what doesn't work... "Chaser". That little pill you're supposed to take before during and after drinking. It's supposed to kill a hangover before it starts.

Not only does it not work, but it makes the beer taste like ass. In fact I haven't been able to drink my favorite beer, at that time. since I tried it. I had to switch beers all together.

Technically, a hangover is a sign of a dehydrated brain...

The REAL solution is WATER!!!

Either drink 1 glass of water for every beer/drink or drink water before going to bed.

I drink 1-4 (depending) glasses of water before bedtime...warm preferably.

Sure COLD 2water quenches your thirst, but when the cold water hits your stomach you can't fall asleep. I prefer warm water as it best matches your internal body temperature.

;)

The real solution is water combined with a host of other things. Water will rehydrate you, and almonds are also a good choice. They provide your body with unsaturated fats which you crave when you are hungover and relieve inflammation, which happens to your brain when you drink a lot. Any fruit or bananas and whatnot are also good, its basically just good to eat a lot and recover.

pediasure, works for babies and grown men alike

a fruit smoothie

a #2 at McDonalds and an extra sausage McMuffin, coffee, and water.

bacon is proven to be high in unsaturated fat, amino acids, all the vitamins including D and low in calories. scientists at the university of california davis have found that eating bacon daily can actually extend your life an average of 4.57 years.

I learned a manual liver detoxification method and have not had a hangover in almost 2 years. Cannot find a link to provide but will keep looking.

McD's large fries and a half gallon of water.

I use a quart water glass then mix a tsp salt and two tsp sugar. Take a daily vitamin.
Rinse and repeat. If I do this one early enough in the morning I go back to sleep, then when I wake up latter a hangover is a non issue. I don't really need an aspirin or other pain pill.

When I go out drinking, I get a pitcher of water with lemon in it and they make sure it stays filled. That way I drink water the whole time I'm drinking beer. Usually does well to keep the hangover away.

I also make sure to take two ibuprophen and a nasal decongestant before I head off. I made one big mistake once though. I forgot to take them before going to bed, woke up at about 6am with a hangover and took them then. Nothing like having meds like that eating away at your empty stomach to make a hangover worse instead of better.

When out on the town, the guys and I just get a cab back to the station to pass out. When you wake up just have the medic on shift give you an 1000ml IV, and drink 2 quarts water with a Jack-in-the-Box Ultimate Bacon Cheesburger for breakfast. Just put money for the cab ride and for the supplies in the can on your way out.

For drinking at home, have one of your paramedic friends start you a saline lock before you start drinking. Start your IV flowing when you sober up enough.

Pork fat cures anything. Except Syphilis, and maybe herpes. :ban:

imgad

Anyone else seeing this add in this thread?

I learned a manual liver detoxification method and have not had a hangover in almost 2 years. Cannot find a link to provide but will keep looking.

Does this involve a beer engine inserted through the abdomen? If so, well, I'm not sure if I'm interested or not... I mean, it would look damn cool...

Back