First ESB Recipe Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heinz57

Reaction score
So I recently got a turkey fryer, and did my first full extract boil, which was a blast. First full boil I'm calling Hoptimus Prime, not a IIPA by any means, but the continuous hopping was a lot of fun. I came up with the name watching Transformers this summer and fell in love with it. I looked it up afterward and found out I wasn't the first to use it to name an IPA, but I don't care I'm sticking with it. Yet I digress...

As of now here's what I'm thinking for the ESB:
(If the feedback is good I'll brew it this weekend too)

Extract Recipe:

Expected Boil Size: 6 gallons for 5 gallon batch size.

5 lbs XLight DME
12 oz Crystal 60L (steeped at 155 for 15min)
1.75 oz Willamette (60min)
.75 oz Willamette (20 min)
1 oz E.K. Goldings(10min)
(Read that Fuggles go well, and I'm very open to suggestions)

For yeast I was going to throw in Nottingham's or try Safale S-04.

Right now I'm leaning toward using the Safale S-04, seems to fit the bill better then Nottingham's does.

I tried to keep it simple, I'm not looking to win awards (yet) just have some good beer.

I also managed to land a 3 tap Perlick counter-top 3 tap kegerator (I know they don't call them that, but I will) which I will post some pics of soon because I'm going to have to overhaul the thing a bit. The compressor looks old, and I'm not even that sure that it's suited for a 120 volt outlet. However, I got the thing from a diner that closed down and the guy sold it to me for $200, so I couldn't pass it up. Anyway, that's a different thread that I'll write soon, for now just some recipe critiques.

Recipe looks good, Willamette, Target, or Fuggles would all be appropriate for bittering. I might switch the 20 minute addition to EKG myself, but that is just a personal preference. Either the Nottinghams or the Safale would be fine.

Latest posts

Back